Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon , seeking information on serail number ranges for NYSP colt revolvers 1954 and up, these would be colt offical polices that replaced the .45 new services in approx 1954 with 6 inch variety and again in approx 1961 with 4 inchers , many thanks rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
From Bob Murphy's great paperback on the Colt New Services; 328,000,332,000,343000,344,000,346,000,348,000(9-6-40) and 349,000 ranges. These were their last purchases,as you mentioned. Older guns had first been bought in 1917,in the same 5 1/2" .45 Colt chambering. Estimates are 1,000 or so N.Services total over the 1917-41 period. Hope this helps,Bud

Hudson Sporting Goods,in N.Y.C. was selling these ex-N.Y.S.T. guns for $29.95 in 1957!!!! And if I recall an ad in old American Rifleman from that era,I have somewhere,the gunbelt,holster,and Sam Browne belt could be had for a few dollars more!!! Yeah,I know,what inflation is,but I wonder if anyone has seen a recent selling price on one of these N.Y.S.T. N.Services and holster outfit recently. Like to know how it relates to a Colt(or S&W) 1917,in "original shape",with holster etc.,that are in the $1000 range if "original",and in "v.good" condition?? Thanks,Bud

·
Registered
44 Posts
N.Y.S.T. marked OP

I'm responding to a 2005 post from rj about NY State Police Official Police guns. I have one marked on the backstrap N.Y.S.T. with serial # 845598. I too am interested in these police-marked guns. I apologize in advance if this is not the correct way to reference an old post.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
From Bob Murphy's great paperback on the Colt New Services; 328,000,332,000,343000,344,000,346,000,348,000(9-6-40) and 349,000 ranges. These were their last purchases,as you mentioned. Older guns had first been bought in 1917,in the same 5 1/2" .45 Colt chambering. Estimates are 1,000 or so N.Services total over the 1917-41 period. Hope this helps,Bud

Hudson Sporting Goods,in N.Y.C. was selling these ex-N.Y.S.T. guns for $29.95 in 1957!!!! And if I recall an ad in old American Rifleman from that era,I have somewhere,the gunbelt,holster,and Sam Browne belt could be had for a few dollars more!!! Yeah,I know,what inflation is,but I wonder if anyone has seen a recent selling price on one of these N.Y.S.T. N.Services and holster outfit recently. Like to know how it relates to a Colt(or S&W) 1917,in "original shape",with holster etc.,that are in the $1000 range if "original",and in "v.good" condition?? Thanks,Bud
Here's a current auction for a NYSP New Service 45 L.C. with holster. It appears to be in v.g. condition and the buy it now price is $1400:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147653664

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I carried SN 885575 from '66 to '74 when I swapped out the gray uniform for cheap Robert Hall suits and the gun was replaced with a snubby DS. It was not minty when issued to me and very accurate. Been searching for an NYST marked OP for old time sakes (any leads appreciated).

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi 03clyde, can you please tel me about the leather holsters , belt and accessories you carriedon the job ???
I just bought a 4 inch OP marked NYSP should be here next next week or early wek after , please post , rj

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
hi 03clyde, can you please tel me about the leather holsters , belt and accessories you carriedon the job ???
I just bought a 4 inch OP marked NYSP should be here next next week or early wek after , please post , rj

PM sent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This forum ('want to sell' section), GunBroker, AuctionArms - they will appear from time to time.
Thanks 03clyde....i was lucky enough to grab a winchester 94, a new service colt, a 28-2 and a 681 so far. I dont want to part with my pieces for the retirement gift so hopefully another one pops up!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Somewhat relevant clipping from back in the day --- interesting, thinking back I was about to buy one of the 'refinished'. Refinished guns were a big plus then, nobody imagining the situation now when one showing use is worth twice as much. I recently appraised a collection where the owner had refinished a 1900 Colt auto, several SAAs, S&W Schofields, Kentucky rifles & others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Somewhat relevant clipping from back in the day --- interesting, thinking back I was about to buy one of the 'refinished'. Refinished guns were a big plus then, nobody imagining the situation now when one showing use is worth twice as much. I recently appraised a collection where the owner had refinished a 1900 Colt auto, several SAAs, S&W Schofields, Kentucky rifles & others.
Wow-those are great prices!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts