Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt Newbie ???\'s

I've just acquired a Colt Official Police Mk III. Serial # (on butt) is 18157. There are also numbers on the frame and crane (6089 J). Can anyone tell me what the 6089 represents, and what year this gun was manufactured? Also, if I want to replace the grips, what frame ID should I be looking at. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Re: Colt Newbie ???\'s

Welcome to the forum. The numbers on the crane and frame are the serial number, that on the butt is not. The number on the butt may be agency / department serializing which I will leave to those with more knowledge on the subject. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Oh, and here for your reference (I can't keep them straight):
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=14607&an=0&page=13#14607
Need some corroboration from another source on the date. The site, proofhouse.com, which has serial numbers and dates is a little confusing for this model. If someone, as I suspect, has entered some I's instead of 1's, the date for 6089J would appear to be be 1973. Otherwise, someone will have to offer a date from another source which I don't have available. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts

For grips, you'll want grips for the Colt Mark III, or "J" frame.

The guns in this series were the Trooper Mark III, Lawman, Metropolitan Police, and the Official Police Mark III.

All these are the Colt "J" frame.

Grips from the Trooper Mark V, Lawman Mark V, Peacekeeper, and King Cobra will NOT fit.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, guys. I've been collecting the "other" brand, and this Colt stuff is new to me. I appreciate your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts