Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there in fact such an animal?
Got a lead on a Colt 1911 National Match that is claimed to have a factory Bomar rib with extended front sight on it.
I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I shot bullseye years ago in prep school and college and the ones I saw were all aftermarket. I guess it is possible someone sent a GCNM back to Colt and they installed it there. In that case I am not sure a factory letter would show that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
During the heyday of bullseye pistol shooting, Colt was a very conservative company and did not use uncontracted aftermarket parts in their pistols. Unless the seller is able to provide a factory letter or a letter from a Colt employee/executive stating that the rib was installed for a Colt employee, it didn't happen.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Can't imagine sending it to the factory for the work, when they were designed so any half-way decent gunsmith or machinist was fully capable of drilling and tapping.

Quite often, any neatly done work is mistaken for 'factory work' because of the crispness of installation - never realizing that someone else was just as capable.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
As now, there were some very talented gunsmiths back then and they specialized in bullseye pistols.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 80 series Lew Horton that came from the Colt factory with a Bowmar sigh on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
The OP wanted to know about the Bomar 'rib' - a completely different thing that was screwed on top of the slide 'with' an attached Bomar rear sight.

There were a number of styles - all eminently 'usable' when one shot Bullseye.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's correct. He claims a rib with the extension front sight.
Searching the internet before this post I did see reference to the 80 Series NM made in 1991-1992 that did come with Bomar sights but not the top rib type.
I thank all for their input in confirming it is as I thought.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I will add this to the discussion. Back in the late 50s and 60s The Colt custom shop was basically farmed out to some little know gunsmiths of the names Clark, RL Shockey, and Pachmayer. A lot of these guns were marketed by a wholesaler Gil Hebard Many of these guns were highly modified with extended sights and possibly Bomar ribs. Some of these came in Colt Boxes as custom guns. Could A NM Colt have been modified with a rib? Possibly. Truman

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a Shockey Colt marketed by Heberd. The warranty letter shows the work and warranty from Colt. I will try to find it. Truman

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Gil Heard ordered the "kits" from Colt and had various gunsmiths assemble them. The slides did not have sights, and most of the parts were packaged separately to be fitted by the gunsmith.

Did the warranty sheet shown come from Colt or Gil Heard?

·
Registered
607 Posts
My example was included in the factory wood grain box with the colt literature. Truman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts