Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt NS on Gunbroker - value added by \"history\" ?

This New Service has been listed and relisted on Gunbroker about a zillion times. One time it actually received a bid of $1500, most of the time it receives no action at all.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=60110951

Beyond his personal statement, the seller does not have anything that definitively ties the gun to Ed McGivern or the other persons he mentions.

What value would you place on this gun? How much of that value is tied to the stated history of the revolver?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Colt NS on Gunbroker - value added by \"history

All of the value depends on the tie to Ed McGivern; without that it's just another chopped up revolver that can't even serve as a parts gun. If he could actually document that it was Ed McGiverns revolver the price would be reasonable but still difficult to realize. McGivern is associated with the S&W revolvers he used for his speed records and exhibition shooting, not with the Colt New Service.

The way the "history" is worded McGivern may not have owned this gun, but simply advised on the changes made to make the gun more "shootable". New Services have the largest "reach" from the back of the grip to the trigger of any common Double-Action revolver, and you need truly huge (not just large) hands with long fingers to get a proper grip & trigger pull. So shaving the backstrap to reduce the "reach" and fitting custom trigger/hammer to make single action operation easier along with better sights is very understandable. I would bet that this revolver was used in 45 caliber Bullseye shooting before WWI and during the 20's & 30's before the 1911's took over. But I doubt that McGivern was the person shooting it.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Re: Colt NS on Gunbroker - value added by \"history\" ?

I'd much perfer to have an unmodified New Service that was attributed to a famous person. This one just looks like someone's idea of a custom created in the 50's or 60's. That post-war S&W rear sight is indicative of a later creation. For my purposes I wouldn't give more than a couple hundred for it. It's good for a laugh whenever I notice that it's still on Gunbroker.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Sadly this "old Model" N.S.(up to about serial #21-23K) was converted,as was said,probably in the 50's and 60's,by the locks of the S&W rear sight and the ramp front sight.

Even the stocks,1917s,are NOT the custom type(Roper,Sanderson etc.) you'd find on a vintage conversion;only the hammer looks truly custom!

The old Model New Services use a number of internal parts that are different from the later ones-and-virtually impossible to find these days. I've been looking for a rebound lever and bolt for a couple of years now,for a friend,and passed on a N.S. 6 months ago,because of timing issues involving said parts.

In short,this gun would probably even be a risky shooter due to its age and parts durability!

Seller had better have a story! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bud

·
Registered
561 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
This New Service has been listed and relisted on Gunbroker about a zillion times

[/ QUOTE ]

That should tell you something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts