Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greeting , just got back from the gun store and came across in a colt offical police marked "Heavy Barrel " 680xxx serial number range with red plastic grips , have seen a few officers model target with Heavy barrels ,but never saw a OP marked. are these worth any more than a pencil barrel Op of the same vintage

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
These guns were made in the late 30s,early 40s,and are usually "unlisted" in most Colt books. I have a similiar one,and Ive seen one more. These are 6" barrels that I suspect were overuns for the Officers Models. Just a question of Colt putting a different "roll marking" on it and a fixed sight instead of the elevation adjusting Officers Model sight. Yes they are worth more than regular O.Polices due to rarity,and that they were pre war. With the red plastic grips,I suspect yours was assembled during W.W.II,when these grips were Ist used on the wartime Commando model. Are there any police or other agency markings on it. The one that I own was purchased with his own $ by a railroad station agent,who kept it locked in his personal drawer. He fired it 6 times,cleaned it,then sold it to me in 1989! Mint! Bud

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi lone wolf ,great to hear from you and appreciate the reply and input ,
just roughly what do these gun goes for ?? please give me an idea as i would like to make an offer , but not over-pay

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
rj: you havent said what condition the gun is;ie; the percent of bluing finish left. Seroius collectors also like the original box and at least 98% finish. In a high market area,a gun like this might go for $750. Official Polices are just starting to really see a jump in value. The last 2 "rare" ones Ive seen is a 2" .38 special in 95% shape for $400 2 years ago(no box). A month ago, I saw a 6" O.P. in 32/20,with the prewar box,bot about a 90% gun go for $475. Run of the mill O.P.s in .38 go for 2 to 300,with the .22s bringing a lot more,and 32/20s a little more. I put the Heavy Barrel in the same as .22 category. There is a gun dealer around here,who has been asking 395 for a heavy barrel in probably 90% shape for 2 years,and hasnt sold it. Who knows? But these are great shooters,that can handle the heavy loads! Good Luck, Bud

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi lone wolf the pistol is about 92% blueing and some holster wear, seems tight , but may eventually need a hand if i shoot it, plastic ww2 grips no cracks and a stamping on the butt , donnot recall what but no p.d. marking, asking $375.,please advise rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Doesnt seem like a bad price to me. These are hard to find. Does seller know that the gun is "rare"?? Ive seen some "run of the mill" O.Polices go for nearly that recently on some of the online auction/sales sites. Good luck. Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts