Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local gun shop today for the first time in quite a while. I noticed they bought out a Colt collection.
All semi auto 1911 style They had a half dozen Government 380's and Mustang's all near mint. From $345.00
to $425.00 range. One very nice all steel Colt Commander 9mm for 675.00. What cough my eye was a perfect
Colt Officer's model. It was the enhanced model in blue with one extra mag.blue box, all the paper work with plastic
bag it came in. All original nothing replaced including the barrel bushing. I know that part tends to have some issue's.
The store wanted $775.00,I got them down to 725.00. That's still pricey I guess! But I had to put down some money on it!
I never see them for sale anymore. I will not be for carry, just for shooting 4 or 5 time's a year. I had one 30 year's ago
I should not have sold. I hope I didn't overpay! Looking forward to picking it up soon. There is just something about a colt!
Have a good day gentleman!

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Smart move - though I'd certainly put it through it's paces and carry it

I've carried mine (stainless) since they first hit the market - 'but' I replaced the spring set and guide rod with EGW parts, added a USGI National Match trigger and checkered the mainspring housing.

Like my Randall Model 1, it's seen a fair share of the globe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently bought a new lightweight commander 45 Colt to carry. I also received my Austin 1930's style holster from El Paso Saddlery. It's carrier's pretty comfortable for me. I sure I'll update lot's of part's to make her totally reliable.
I wonder if a all steel Officer's ACP is heavier that a lightweight Commander?

·
Registered
852 Posts
The steel Officers is heavier than the alloy Commander. I paid more for a stainless example the other year. Replacing the bushing isn't a bad idea; just save the original.
The steel Officers in .45 is a pleasant shooter; the Defender not so much.
Moon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Colt officers are awesome. mine usually end up only getting shot occasionally, while the 2 kimber ultras I have get carried. Something about the colts make me want to keep them safe...

·
Banned
110 Posts
I secretly have a stash Money saved for surprised gun, Over the years i have noticed that awesome and hard to find guns come up unexpected. I have snagged a not of surprise guns with no issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to the EGW site like dogface 6 recommended, lot's of good 1911 stuff. I think I'll order the full guide rod with plug
to start with. Perhaps a Wilson Combat upswept grip safety. I always wanted a arch mainspring housing on one of my
1911. Lot's of idea's little fund's to do it with!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great buy.
I've owned a couple of them over the years. Maybe I'm just lucky but I never had a problem with the stock barrel bushings and spring set up.

I like the rat tail grip safety too.

If I ever find another when I'm flush I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On second thought the rat tail grip safety not bad. It's the duckbill I'm not crazy about.
I'm very happy to find a officer's acp in fantastic shape. I had a stainless officer's many year's ago
that I sent to Colt for ambi safety and a few other upgrade's. I wish I never sold that one!

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
To 'me', the Officer's ACP behaves like the Government Model in recoil, whereas the Commanders all had muzzle flip.

Ergonomics is a key element when choosing a carry piece...

My grips are smooth 'faux Ivory' with my initials inboard and my jump wings outboard - just like my pre-Series 70 Government Model - and both are set up identically, save for the lanyard loop I installed on a Gold Cup flat mainspring housing - I didn't see that particular need for the smaller piece.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rat tail on the left, duck bill on the right.

'Splain to me the difference between a 'rat tail' and 'duckbill' grip safety?
Thnx,
Moon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to pick up the officer's acp in the morning! I'll try to trade one of my other long gun's. Use some of the
store credit to pay off the rest of what I owe. The rest will go as a down payment on either a government 380 or
a Mustang or a pony. The store bought out a entire Colt collection. I wish I could drop two or three grand.
You just don't see this stuff very often.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm going to pick up the officer's acp in the morning! I'll try to trade one of my other long gun's. Use some of the
store credit to pay off the rest of what I owe. The rest will go as a down payment on either a government 380 or
a Mustang or a pony. The store bought out a entire Colt collection. I wish I could drop two or three grand.
You just don't see this stuff very often.
Welcome to the sickness (LOL)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mr. Byers, thank you. Mine is indeed the duckbill; not as handsome as the upswept versions, but it feels just fine in the hand. I did put a checkered, flat mainspring housing in mine, as well as the replacement bushing and takedown plug.
Quick story about a bright stainless Officers; a new-to-guns buddy asked me to check out this gun; he'd found it online. When I got there, it was simply gorgeous, and the devil on my shoulder said "Tell him it's a piece of crap, and buy it yourself". Price was less than $500. I did the right thing, and had them hold it for him.
Found my own, brushed stainless, example a year or so later.
Moon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My new officer's acp has the E after the seral number. I guess the enhanced version's come with the duckbill. One of my colt commander's has the rat tail safety. I like the rat tail over the duckbill. My hand want's to get higher up on the pistol.It could be because the grip is shorter then the commander and full size. I try it a while and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts