Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Officers Model .32 Heavy Barrel. .32 Caliber 6'BBl. SER#. 520853 it is Mint. I am having a hard time trying to find a date that it was made. I do know that the heavy barrel were offered in 1935. Any ideas?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Colt Firearm Serial Number Lookup - Year of Manufacture

OFFICERS MODEL SPECIAL
POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL & DETECTIVE SPECIAL
1903 HAMMERLESS .32
OFFICIAL POLICE MODEL (CONTINUED ARMY SPECIAL SERIALS)
ARMY SPECIAL & OFFICERS MODEL
MODEL 1911 MILITARY

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi, Rich,

We'll be interested to see what that letter says. I don't think there's much argument that the frame was made in 1925. And TBOCF states that, "The Heavy Barrel was available from 1935 through the early 1940's, in .38 caliber only" even though we know it was also available in .32, but according to an old 1940 ad in Haven and Belden, they must have meant available in the 6" barrel length only. But it also states, under barrel markings, "The marking of approximately 1930 to approximately 1949 (which was the Officers Model Target) sometimes was marked beneath: HEAVY BARREL. The Maltese Cross motif is sometimes present bordering the above markings."

So it seems that we're still approximately five years apart. How long did the frame sit there before somebody ordered a .32 Heavy Barrel? What's the last patent date on the barrel? Hopefully, the OM experts will chime in and we'll both learn something.

Dick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.