Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
colt-officers-model-32-police-ctg. I have a pistol that my grandfather used, who gave it to my dad, and he gave it to me. It has a 7 1/2" barrel and the only serial number on the cylinder is the number 2. Can anyone help me with finding out more about it and what it might be worth? July 4, 05 is the most recent date. It is in fair condition. I fired it when I was a kid. If it isn't worth much I intend to use it for protection when I am in the outdoors. Stupid idea?

Thanks

Jeff

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I wasn't really going to use it! I sure need to clean it though. I thought I would get a faster reply if I acted like most unaware people to a hobby. I almost put I wanted to sand the bluing off and paint it black so it would look better! I'm not the brightest star in the sky but I do know better. I will post pictures as soon as I edit and figure how to do so.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1950 model according to the site

It's a 1950. I thought it was older than that. My grandfather used it at Sanderson Texas guarding the town water supply.

Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

I kept noticing all the patent dates and thought it was much older.

Worth much? I need a small pistol for protection in the mountains. I presently carry my 12 Gauge. Does anyone think I could trade for a more modern weapon such as a .38?

· Administrator
7,575 Posts
Looks like 1916 mfg from here .

I'd keep grandpa's gun if it were mine . Sentimental I suppose .

Should you decide to sell you shouldn't have any trouble .

Reactions: Colt-SL

· Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Guy. I guess I didn't hit the jackpot on this one either. I took my kids out plinking when they were young and they hated it. With .22s! I just don't get it nowadays. edit . I love the memories but need to shrink my collection. My daughter did get my Model 6 Remington boy's rifle last Christmas.​

· Premium Member
9,911 Posts
The serial number charts for the Officers Models are confusing. It appears that the serial number on your revolver is 412544, which would place your revolver in 1916.

If you want to carry a revolver in the mountains for protection, and have been carrying a 12-gauge shotgun, then presumably you want protection from bears. No handgun will offer protection even close to a 12-gauge with slugs, but a .32NP is extremely underpowered for such use. A .38 Special would not be much better. A .44 Magnum would be better, but not in the class with a 12-gauge.

I have an 8-inch Anaconda .44 Magnum that I would consider trading to you for your Officers Model, with an appropriate boot amount of course, if you want a more powerful handgun to carry in the mountains.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definitely consider your offer Judge! I like that pistol you have. I am sure people think I am crazy to get rid of a family heirloom but I need more protection from bear, mountain lions and humans. The 12 GA is just too hard to move around with in my camper shell or tent. My Dad would be angry with me but would have wanted me to be safe on the other hand. Again, my son does not want it. I go to the Gila Wilderness and on private ranches every week by myself. I have had many close calls. I also carry a darn .25 pistol which is a joke.

I am a collector of many things other than firearms and I love what I collect. As I age and have lost most of my friends and family I face leaving my wife and kids with getting rid of my stuff when they are all scared of firearms! They don't even want to be in a room with them when I am cleaning, etc. I guess my kids learned this in our public schools. I would hope someone who appreciates antique firearms would end up with this weapon. Now I have to find out about the darn new laws they are passing every day and see what I need to do for trading firearms.

Can anyone give me a crash course for dummies?

I will post more pictures of it in its present condition. I guess my dad fired it and didn't clean it before he gave it to me about ten years ago. He would have chewed my butt for doing this but it is dirty and I want to be totally honest. I will clean it real good tomorrow. I am still going to send the pictures of it as is next reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.