Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.

I just recently inherited a Colt Officers Model 38 and I am trying to determine its date of manufacture.

About the firearm:

Serial number: 5319**
Has adjustable front and rear sights.
Trigger, Cylinder release, Hammer and back strap are checkered.
4 1/2" barrel
.38 spc

Barrel Roll marks are as follows:
Colt's P T F A MFG. CO. Hartford, CT. U.S.A.
PAT'D AUG 5, 1884, JUL 4, 1905, OCT 25, 1926
+ OFFICERS MODEL 38+

I have contacted colt and they indicate that it was manufactured in 1950. But in all the descriptions that I have researched on the web
this firearm seems to have all the markings of a pre-war model.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Oyeboten,

I suspected that it was older than Colt seemed to think it was. I gave it a through cleaning and took it to the range yesterday and gave a test firing with standard Winchester 130 gr FMJ's and it shoots real sweet.

There is some holster wear on the barrel and cylinder as would be expected from a service gun of this age.

Going to look up reloading data and keep it around for the little lady to use for home defense and range shooting.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
+1 with Oyeboten. Sometimes the folks answering the phones simply plug in the serial without "hearing" what you were telling them. You've found one that's not the standard 6" variety as we see so often. Take good care of her and she'll drill the 10 ring long after you and I are but dust. I couldn't, nor do I think many can, tell you how many 4 1/2" models left the factory but they were released in 4, 4 1/2, 5, 6 and 7 1/2". Now then, had this been a 4 1/2" Heavy Barrel marked, you'd have a scarce(r) configuration indeed though I suspect the 4 1/2" "regular" barrel length aren't very common.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
Yes, good mentions Mtn Spur!|

That is a scarce Barrel length for these.

This Revolver was really made for Lead Wadcutters or Semi-Wadcutters.

But, it's strength and Metallurgy should be fine with any .38 Special Ammunition...other than "+P+"...I would steer clear of that one with this Revolver, if it was me.

+Ps or "38-44" or ".38 Heavy Duty" for defence use would be fine in emergency, long as those were not being used routinely.

Be sure to Oil it up really well...anything that slides or moves.

Lord knows that last time anyone else may have!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts