Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local seller has a Colt Officer's model match .22 for sale. Wants 1200. He was flexible on the price but that's not what concerns me. The end label has a "38" stamped as well as the .22... Serial number is 88332. Test target is dated Sept. 6 1968. Check out the pics and advise.. Is this a 4" or 6"???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
My thoughts... Otto's signature looks legit on the target. The "38" stamp on the box label is likely a production code number or inspection number of some type, not an indication of caliber. The serial number should be hand written in grease pencil on the bottom of the box. However, if not in grease pencil, possibly a heavy black marker.

The photo of the label looks good and I would say authentic. The test target numbered to the gun, gives me confidence the box is correct (why keep the target and not the box kind of reasoning) but a photo of the top of the box and the serial number on the bottom would help.

If you are asking about the barrel length; its a 6".

If the serial number on the target matches the gun, the stocks are not original. In '68 it would have been fitted with "half moon" style checkered stocks. But if those are full checkered, you might prefer them.

Best of luck with this one. The gun looks really nice but the photos are not great.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
The "38" is some kind of factory code. Such stamped numbers are seen on end labels of that vintage more than on any other vintage. I take it as a good sign, not a deficiency.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seller states there's no serial number on the bottom of the box. However if you look at the label the serial number is marked by the 38 marking that I mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
IMOP the stocks that are on it are much more desirable than the 1/2 moon it should have.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seller forwarded pics of the grips with the serial number of the gun as well as the grease pencil marking on the bottom with the S/N, also the top of the box. Is it possible that Colt shipped this gun with these stocks. I know on page 368 of sutherland's book shows the half moon stocks. Also can someone comment on the fact of the serial number marked on the label. Also is 1200 a fair price for this configuration. Could not find anything on the internet to compare to. Thanks again to all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Full-checkered stocks were not used on such a late OMM. The gun should have stocks with the "half-moon" checkering pattern with double thumb rests. The full-checkered stocks are worth much more than the correct stocks, so getting a set of correct stocks will likely result in a net economic gain.

It is common for dealers and owners to write the serial number on the end label so as to make it easier to identify then box in a stack of boxes. The serial number was not written on the end label at the factory.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What grips that are half mooned as far as model applications go??? Something that would fit a Python???, Diamondback??? that could be used for this OMM? I'm assuming someone wrote the S/N after it left Colt. Also again I ask about the price... Thanks.

Full-checkered stocks were not used on such a late OMM. The gun should have stocks with the "half-moon" checkering pattern with double thumb rests. The full-checkered stocks are worth much more than the correct stocks, so getting a set of correct stocks will likely result in a net economic gain.

It is common for dealers and owners to write the serial number on the end label so as to make it easier to identify then box in a stack of boxes. The serial number was not written on the end label at the factory.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
What grips that are half mooned as far as model applications go??? Something that would fit a Python???, Diamondback??? that could be used for this OMM? I'm assuming someone wrote the S/N after it left Colt. Also again I ask about the price... Thanks.
Can't help with the price.

The serial number notation on the label is something that occurred after it left Colt. No big deal. With additional photos of box, I would say it is authentic.

As to stocks... yes, something that would fit a Python.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a possibility that someone ordered the gun with these stocks as shown from the factory??? Just wondering why the S/N is penciled in the right grip as shown. What stocks were these originally for??? I guess anyone could put the S/N on the stocks.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Is there a possibility that someone ordered the gun with these stocks as shown from the factory??? Just wondering why the S/N is penciled in the right grip as shown. What stocks were these originally for??? I guess anyone could put the S/N on the stocks.
There is no possibility that the full-checkered stocks were "special-ordered" on a late 1960s OMM. I have no idea why a serial number is written on one stock panel. Colt did not do that with target stocks. The pictured stocks were originally made for an earlier OMM or Trooper or "357." Yes, anyone could write a number inside any stock panel. Or not.

If I was to find a set of half moon stocks... Would they have silver medallions???
Maybe. It would depend on whether you found a set of "half-moon" stocks for a Python or a Non-Python. Pythons have gold medallions, while all others have silver medallions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I was to find a set of half moon stocks... Would they have silver medallions???
To be correct, they would need to be silver. Gold was for Pythons only.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I will say from my experience that the 1/2 moon in silver are some really hard to find stocks. The gold python seems to be everywhere just not silver.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you trade the older Colt Mustang w/box and papers straight across for this OMM? Also maybe a pocket nine?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.