Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellas.

Long time reader here figured it was about time to join.
I appreciate the beauty and history of a quality sidearm, especially an older weapon. I came upon this beauty on New Years Eve. What a way to start the new year !

I do a lot of horse trading. While talking to a friend that was liquidating his gun collection, the conversation turned to hand guns this queen came out of the safe.

The story goes that his multimillionaire father in law gave this to him a month before his wife decided to seek life elsewhere. Thus his selling his guns I suppose, I didn't go there........
Anyway, this weapon was purchased new and fired 4 rnds. down the pipe then heavily oiled and stored in the safe the last 55 years.

I'm a 1911 guy, so these wheel guns are unfamiliar territory to me.

What I have here is a Colt Officers Model Match .38 with a 6" barrel.
1959 5th Issue verified with Colt.

Original wood checkered grips with the Colt emblems.

Double action.

This pistol is about original as it gets.

Original box with all the paper work, " Handling The Handgun '' and Warranty Card, cleaning brush, the round Colt tool with the 3 different size flatheads in a small manila envelope.

The sidearm is still wrapped in the original paper it was shipped in.

No cylinder rotation marks. Spotless hammer. No signs it was ever fired.
Perfect in every way.

Professionally graded at 99%. ( Only because I told him it was fired 4 times ) The gentleman that graded it for me said this .38 was the best he's ever seen.

I was hoping that some of the Colt guys on here could give an idea of the value and or collectability of this fine sidearm. I've did a lot of research, but, prices and condition seem to be all over the place. I have yet to find one with the box and all paper work.

Not really looking to sell, but more for insurance purposes and what I can expect it to gain in collectability as the years go by.

This weapon being in the condition it is, as well as having all of the original components tells me this might be an extremely rare find ?

Very interesting firearm with a lot of history. Fine reading to say the least.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
670 Posts
GunNut, I have the same one also a 59. I bought it about three or four years ago. Original box and tools, no manual. I think I paid about 750 then. I do know one thing about it , it is a very accurate shooter. As far as collectors go, it is on the rise. (as are most everything that is a Colt revolver). We sure would like to see some pictures of such an original Colt though. Until you get some pictures, here's mine and they are many others on the forum who have great examples.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Gunnut…am I reading this correctly, are you looking to purchase this for yourself from your friend or have you already purchased it?

In the condition it is in…it would be at the top of the list for those people who collect this model…. I would expect it to bring the most money in a GB auction amongst the buyers who want one in that unusual condition. Only down side is that the model itself is not among the most desirable based on the Blue Book value listed for this version. That said, I would expect it to sell for hundreds above the 100% listing in the Blue Book…maybe even more if the bidding gets crazy between two people who have to have it for their collection.
Pricing a gun in that condition, that is that old, is truly where the phrase "It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it" comes from…

anxiously awaiting some pics…

·
Registered
785 Posts
Congratulations and welcome.

I also own a OMM, 5th Edition, in .38 Special. It's an extremely accurate revolver, and a pleasure to shoot. Mine is far from "new", but it's right up there with its smoothness, and accuracy, of any .38 Special I've ever fired.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input guys. Just got back from the show. I did get the weapon appraised by several different gentlemen there that deal in older Colts. Interesting results. But, I'll wait on that till you guy get a look.

I'm going to take some pics now and see if I can't get them to upload.

Again, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to my questions.

·
Premium Member
21,833 Posts
GunNut, I have found that taking a gun to a gun show for an appraisal is a bad idea. You get two types of opinions. The first is from people who do not want your gun, so they tend to tell you it is worth more than what you might be able to get for it. The other people who look at the gun and may want it will usually tell you it is worth quite a bit less than it is worth so they can buy it. Take an average!!
Hopefully, the members of the Forum will give you a more realistic idea of its value.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I bought a little later (1966) OMM in similar condition (but the gun only, no box) about a month ago for $650. It has been fired, but not much. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I shot it for the first time last week, and it did very well at 25 yards.

I suspect yours would bring at least $200-$300 more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
T.May, yes, I bought it New Years Eve. Ok, my phone won't upload ( after an hour of messing with it ), so I sent them to the wife and she is emailing them back to my puter. I sure miss the rotary phones ...........

Give me some time and I'll gett'em up here one way or the other.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I'm done. I can't upload. I can get to the browse and upload screen, then after selecting a pic, everything goes off white and I can't do anything. Maybe because I have so few posts?

If someone would be so kind as to shoot me their email addy, I email them the pics and maybe they will have better luck. Sorry to be a pain in the rear............

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pics have been emailed. Thanks to the guys that offered to post them for me.

Any spots you may see are reflections or oil. There are no marks on this weapon. Took the pics with a droid phone, so they could be better...........

·
Registered
670 Posts
Pics posted for GunNut. Beautiful piece. But I do believe it has been shot. Appears to be powder burns on every hole at the front of the cylinder. Ones that I have seen that are factory fired for function, will have every other hole fired. Others may chime in. Very clean gun though and complete. I will make correction about the firing. I see that you fired it 4 times. Sorry , need to actually read the post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you guys for posting the pics for me. Sorry about the quality. Took with my phone on the kitchen table at night. The light could have been better. I especially didn't like the way the stocks came out in the pictures.
It's also so very heavily oiled that there appears to be blemishes or marks on it. For example, on the trigger guard pic, that's dust particles in the oil and the stocks are much lighter in color than they appear. I have some old school props I'll put together and take a few like that when I get some time. I've seen some guys do that here and it really enhances the character of the picture.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's also so very heavily oiled that there appears to be blemishes or marks on it. For example, on the trigger guard pic, that's dust particles in the oil.
Glad you cleared that up, 'cause the photo looks like nasty bright steel! Beautiful OMM.

Since we're talking 1959 OMM's, thought I'd throw in. No box or papers, but a real nice piece. Just got the right set of stocks too, thanks to Mr. Gunnip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's an OM Match .38 of the same vintage, together with an OM Target .22 form the 1920s and a .22 PP Target a little older
Photograph Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood
. The latter has an old refinish but the OMs are original and show little wear. To me they are all shooters, and when cleaned and stored properly I expect my grandkids to appreciate them too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.