Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been past threads regarding this model but I was hoping we could share some more images and experiences of examples here in the community. Some of the earlier threads now have broken links and lost images. I'm now going to use Imgur to host my images.

To start off, here are some comments that I've found helpful:

By dfariswheel in this thread:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/240274-officers-model-match-mark-iii-survivors.html

The Officer's Model Match Mark III was made early in the Mark III era, and the vented barrels were made specifically for it, not the later Mark V model.
Production apparently started in 1970 and ended in 1972.
According to Colt, only 150 were sold in the US, all the rest were shipped to Europe.
It's thought that most went overseas due to revolvers being more used in a specific type of formal Target match there.

The major differences between the Trooper Mark III and OMM Mark III was the .38 Special chambering for the OMM Mark III, the Patridge front sight, a slightly narrower grooved Target trigger, a slightly wider and longer hammer with a thinner tapered shape, and a Royal Blue finish normally used only on the Python.
The OMM Mark III does not have the firing pin bushing retainer pin in the frame the standard Mark III has.
It came with a test target.

Apparently, like the older post-war OMM revolvers, no special effort was made to increase accuracy, the special features were thought to be enough since standard Colt revolvers were about as accurate as possible without really major changes.
By Cam in this thread:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/26582-officer-s-model-match-mark-iii.html

Colt made about 496 of these and exported 350 of them to Europe, leaving less than 150 here in the U.S. They are highly collectable and were the last Officers Model Target model made. The first Officers Model Target was produced in 1904 and the Mark lll was the end of the production.
Here is one of mine
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Air gun

And these Colt letters concerning production came with another. These letters were the impetus for starting this thread, as I wanted to share them, and see about any similar or complimentary ones out there.

Text Paper Document Font Paper product

Text Font Paper Letter Document

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Really nice revolver you have there. I finally got one and dropped it at my gunsmith 2 months ago without shooting it for a red ramp and white outline. Still waiting, gee I really miss Brent working at Colt Custom....I would have had it a month ago. Can't wait to shoot the heck out of it; enjoy yours!!

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Here are a few photos of the OMM MK III I purchased from a forum member last year. It is in very good used condition, with a well done Royal Blue polish job. About a year ago, one of our members (I think it was Cam) posted some photos of his NIB, with test target example. I have been looking for such a package since, but they are few and far between.

Cylinder
Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun Metal
Gun Revolver Trigger

More photos in next post.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I'm guessing these are not on "I" frame ? but "J" like the trooper?

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good photographs Kanatak.
I particularly like the case hardening colors on the hammer

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check out this Gunbroker
posting. It looks to me like it might be a Officer Model Mark III barrel on a Trooper frame when I compared the photos with the ones on this forum and with my Trooper. The front sight got my attention first, then the right side of the frame. His minimum is $1800 and by now is $2200. What do you all think? http://www.gunbroker.com/item/667731117. I've been looking hard for a 6th Issue without much success lately.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,093 Posts
Looks like the front sight was replaced with a non-Target ramped blade.
Colt used solid pins for front sights, not "roll" pins.

Everything else looks legit, but, as always, only a Colt Archive letter would be positive.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,093 Posts
It looks to me like the evolution of the OM to the Python was a steal from the old King Super Target Rib treatment...
Yes and no.
The last "E" frame based Officer's Model was the Officer's Model Match, which had the same non-ribbed heavy tapered barrel Colt had used since the 1920's.
It was discontinued in 1969.
The new "J" frame base Officer's Model Match Mark III was introduced in 1970, with the other Mark III models introduced in 1969.
The Python was introduced in 1955, and the men who built the first prototype of the Python said they found the first barrel to be too muzzle heavy, so they machined vents in it to lighten it.

This may have been in response to the King's vented rib or not, but they claimed they didn't do it for the look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts