Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inherited the attached fifth issue Colt Officers Model Match in .38 caliber with original box, manual, and warranty card. This Colt is NIB - unfired - flawless finish with not a hint of a cylinder ring. The 6" barrel is crystal clear with a singular rifling pattern indicating no rounds fired. Serial number is 936665. Would appreciate help identifying its production date and an estimate of its value. Thanks.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
I can't say for sure but I believe it's a mid- to late-1960's manufacture. When the 1968 Gun Control Act went into effect all firearms had to have a unique serial number so it would have a letter prefix or suffix if made after that went into effect.

I have one made about the same time...only about 3000 guns before yours and those numbers are probably mixed in with the Official Police or Troopers. Mine is as-new condition but no box or paperwork. I paid less than $600 for it last year if that gives you some idea of value. The box and papers add some value for many. The Officers Model Match revolvers in .22LR go for more in equal condition.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,
Your Officers Model Match dates to about 1968. It shared the same serial# sequence with the .38 special Colt Trooper. Nice looking package!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Mine is just like yours (9359xx) and is from 1967. It's interesting that my box doesn't have the cuts in the "Colt" area like yours... maybe a box of ammo was there?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't know the value but that is a really nice revolver. The biggest problem I would have owning it would be the desire to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is just like yours (9359xx) and is from 1967. It's interesting that my box doesn't have the cuts in the "Colt" area like yours... maybe a box of ammo was there?
Yes, a 50 round .38 spec cartridge rack (without the outer box) fits perfectly within the "Colt" pocket. In fact, the "Colt" pocket forms the box and the cuts provide the access. Research indicates the Colt name has been used over the years on ammo produced by other companies. Thought here is, back in 1967, this revolver probably came with 50 rounds of Colt ammo. Still a mystery to me is why this ammo pocket actually indicates "Colt's" - the possessive case - not simply "Colt."

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Still a mystery to me is why this ammo pocket actually indicates "Colt's" - the possessive case - not simply "Colt."
It is because the official name of Colt was "Colt's Repeating Arms" and "Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company," etc. over the years. "Real" Colt snobs always use "Colt's."

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
That is a very nice Officers Model Match revolver, but it is neither NIB nor flawless. It has certainly been fired, post-factory.

Take a look at the ejector rod, and the lost blue on it. That is the first place one sees wear on blued revolvers. That ejector rod has been pushed thousands of times, probably to extract expended cartridges.

Now, look at the bottom front of the stocks. The checkering is not as sharp as on the top of the stocks. Why? The first wear on stocks is on the bottom front part of the checkering.

I cannot see the blast shield, but I will speculate that it shows wear from firing, and wear from opening and closing the cylinder.

Since there does not appear to be any high edge wear, I will opine that it was either never carried, or at least seldom holstered.

Your revolver is worth around $1,000 +/- $200, IMHO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The information I have on my OMM with a serial number in the 9354xx range is that it was manufactured in 1966. It is a fantastic shooter, and I would think that SnidelyWhiplash got a terrific deal on his. I would side with Collects above on the current value.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Collects: Thanks for the very informative analysis - learned much about how to assess if a revolve is NIB or fired. Yes, the exposed section of the ejector rod evidences what appears to be streaked or worn bluing but the section of rod at the ejector end is all blue. I would have expected the bluing on the entire ejector rod to be consistent. Regarding the stocks, my amateur iPhone pics provided a misleading view. Under more intense professional photo lighting, the coloring in the stocks, especially the bottom front section of checkering, is evenly consistent with any minor variances due to the grain patterns in the wood. The blast shield shows no wear, no variance in the bright steel facing. My principal logic for identifying my Colt OMM as unfired-NIB is the fact there is no hint of a cylinder ring, which I understand is a leading indicator of an unfired revolver. Also, the barrel reflects a single, crystal clear rifling pattern. I understand that a fired handgun would evidence multiple overlapping rifling patterns. Please see attached pics that provide two different views of the cylinder. Am I missing anything here? If, in fact, this Colt OMM is unfired-NIB, what would you estimate its worth to be?

Peter
Colt OMM 1.jpg Colt OMM 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Nice Colt, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
My first colt was one of those I bought used in 90% for $65 in 1964. That would be $507.87 today. Bought it from a Los Angeles county deputy for my first guard job. Sold it when I bought a new .357 4" Trooper for $108 about 1970 as I wanted the 4" barrel. That would be $691.64 today according to dollar times. I like to put cost/times in prospective. My first three cars were $40 to $100. About a tank of gas today, if you don't count inflation. Of course my wage`s was a buck a hour in the late 50`s when I bought those cars.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
Excellent OMM package. I've sold a couple of these recently in the $1000 to $1200 range that were LNIB. Nice...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts