Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on line I saw an add for a Colt Offiers model match 38 spcl made in 1957. As part of the description the dealer added the following:

"We believe the front bottom corner of the grip frame has been modified. What
would normally be the bottom front corner of the grip frame is instead a 45
degree angle with the flat being about ¾” long and almost tangent with the grip
frame pin."

This was of interest because within the past month I bought a Colt officers model special (38 spcl ctg) made in 1949. It has the exact same cut on the lower front of the grip frame. When I bought mine I figured Bubba got his hands on it but it was going for a song so I bought it. Now I see another one.

Anyone care to speculate why the frames would be cut like this?

Mine has plastic grips with a Colt logo. No idea if they are factory or knock offs but the sharp corners of the grip stick out over the cut corner. Not nice.

Any suggestions for some colt wood target type grips that would fit the gun yet cover the cut so that it would look better and be more comfortable while shooting?

Thx

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
There was a type (brand?) of custom target grip available back then, that required that modification to the frame .....

I don't remember the particular maker of grip, but I've seen many Officers Model Target .38's butchered up to accommodate it.

hth ~

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Didn't answer the whole question. :eek: The Coltwood plastic stocks were the factory stocks of the day. Stocks for any Colt E/I frame revolver (Python, Official Police, Officers Model, original Trooper, Model 357) will fit. The main variation I have seen with the OMS is in the screw placement which can conflict with the web in the grip frame. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/10622-colt-wood-grips-python.html. After market replacements, some with similar styling, are also available. Here is an example: Colt Python (I,E Frame) Grips: grips4guns.com. Many target stocks leave the back strap uncovered, but most cover the front corner. The Hogue rubber stocks do the same and are quite popular for shooting comfort. HTH :cool:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sounds like the frame was "clipped" for Fuzzy Farrant stocks. If it came with the Farrant stocks, and they were in good shape, then depending on the price you might have gotten a nice collectible. Without the grips, then not really - in fact, the opposite. I quite like the Farrant grips I have on three of my guns, but mine didn't require modifying the frames.

As far as the Coltwood stocks on your gun, they typically shrink over time. I just bought a 1948 transitional OMT, and the stocks have shrunk on it, making the frame stick out all the way around. I'll slip some Herretts target stocks on it before I shoot it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, unfortunately I did not get Farrant stocks. Maybe I'll luck out and find some somewhere.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts