Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired an .22 Officers Model third issue and I am having trouble re-installing the crane back into the frame after unscrewing it and pulling it out for a clean. I line up a flute on the cylinder with the crane so it doesn't grind into the frame, but no matter how I turn and twist and push I just can't get it to snap back into the slot fully. I did once before, but it seemed almost by accident that it happened. Is there a technique I'm missing, or is it just a matter of trial and error? Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I really can’t think of anything, and it seems like you’re taking the proper approach with regards to the flutes.
With the retaining screw completely removed, there shouldn’t be any hindrance. Confirm there isn’t any debris way back inside.

Just keep it nice and slow

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Some (especially older models) can be pretty tight, so put some lube on it and try to wiggle it in (instead of pushing straight in). And I assume the crane retainer is not installed? "Someone I know" once put the retainer back in the frame just to make sure it wouldn't get lost, and that made the crane impossible to install until the mistake was discovered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your responses. A user messaged me some detailed information that solved it. The mystery was that it is a pre-war model so there are 2 pieces as part of the frame screw. The crane detaches if just the screw is out, but both pieces need to be removed in order for the crane to be reinserted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts