Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum. The serial numbers for OM's are confusing. I have an OM 6" .38 special serial #752xxx. It is in easy 95% condition. Sight are straight, screws are perfect, missing original grips. My questions are: Year of manufacture? Original grips? Sources? Should I put ivory with medallions? What are these guns worth? I would really appreciate your responses and any other information you would care to give. I am glad to have discovered this forum.ged

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'm a collector ,not an expert,but my guess is that your OM was manufactured in the late 1940's-maybe 1948 or so-and probably had checkered wood service stocks w/ the Colt medallion,not the full checkered target grips on later Officers Model Match revolvers.The Officers Model Special was introduced in 1949 w/ a heavy barrel & Coltwood or plastic grips;your revolver sounds like the immediate predecessor of the OMS.I paid $400-550 for my pre-war Officers Models & about the same for my post-war Officers Model Match revolvers but,as with most things,prices are rising.Sounds like a nice revolver;should be a great one to shoot.
Regards,
turnerriver
John Witty

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yes, looks like 1948 numbered in series with the OP at that time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am trying to decide whether I want to try to locate the Coltwood grips, and I have been looking. Or to fit some Ivory grips with Colt medallions. Not really a problem in the big scheme of things. This is just a fun gun to shoot. I bought it with all things Pachmayr rubber grips on it. Thanks for the information. ged

1 - 5 of 5 Posts