Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt \"Officer\'s Models\"; a primer??

Mikal,"Colt 38",sent me a PM,and rather than answer him 1 to 1,figured I'd try and give a "basic primer" on the Colt "Officers Models",1904-1970.

Part of the problem,is that we ALL tend to refer these revolvers as "Officers' Models",even though there may be the word Target,Special,or Match in addition to those 2 words!

In addition,books like the Blue Book,further confuse it by using that freakin "issue" word. I take issue,with the word "issue",and it can confuse things,like "3rd issue" being the introduction of the Officers in .22 around 1930.

I.The earliest Officer Models were built on the OLD LEFT WHEELER,"Army Navy" frame, side plate on the right side,had 6" bbls. and were chambered in .38 Special. Probably Bob Best has seen them in .38 Long Colt,but I haven't and shoot mine only with mild wadcutters. A slight change occurred around 1907,when the frame lost the rebated trigger guard,for "transition models". Not many were built,and the name probably came from a sense of "elitism" or "special" for officers,but I doubt if many officers carried these into combat in holsters,as the front sights were fragile.At least the U.S. military didn't issue double actions for officers and single action revolvers for the grunts,as found someplaces in Europe then.

II. The Officers Model came out on the "new" Army Special frame in 1908,with the action that we are familiar with. Barrel lengths had their widest variety from 7.5"(I love it!) down to 4";these in .38 Special "only". Stocks varied.
In 1930,the .22 came out,in a separate serial# range(the earlier ones are in the Army Navy,Army Special,O.Police ranges). Although the BOCFA,says they were marked,"Officers Model Target",I have a 1933 .22 and a 1934,4.5" .38,that only say "Officers Model". We have "heavy barrel" options and the rare .32 caliber in this 1908-1940 era.

III.I am not sure when the Officers Model Special revolver began,an Colt probably used up some of the older barrels and frames in the 1946-49 "transition period". BUT the "Special",in the BOCFA,seems to be the first "new" postwar model revolver. It used the "Coltmaster" rear sight(ramp front) and the rear sight was adjustable for BOTH windage and elevation. So,if the gun has adjustable sights BOTH front and rear,its probably "pre war". The OMS used the plastic Coltwood stocks,which tended NOT to be popular with shooters. .22 and .38 made.

IV. In 1953 name was changed to Officers Model Match,rear sights,also changed. Full "WOOD" target stocks added!!
These ran to the end of production circa 1969,when a few "very rare" Officers Models were made on the Mk.III frame action.

These are very confusing,and the serial number ranges "hop around",as do the Old Model Troopers,so you will need a book!! Like most target revolvers,shooters changed stocks,sights,etc to try and get the "winning edge",and this can further confuse "originality".

Again,part of the "confusion" is from calling them ALL "Officers Models",(and of course,there are the .45 autos with this name!)but over on the "S&W side",there is similiar "confusion" with terms like "Outdoorsman" and "Masterpiece"!!!

ALL wonderful handguns,when we tried to make each shot "count",instead of "the spray and pray" mentality!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: Colt \"Officer\'s Models\"; a primer??

Thanks for the summary, Bud. That is concise, clear and helpful!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Thanks Bud as I am looking at a circa 1960's Officers Model Match right now and am deciding to buy.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Dick, you asked me a question, and my email is down because of a computer crash. My answer is buy it! They are going nowhere but up.

Bob

·
Registered
778 Posts

Thanks, Bud. You are a fountain of knowledge on old Colts.

I listen when you speak.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts

My two cents on the Officers Match.

BUY IT!!!!!!!!!

I own a .22 Officers Match circa 1962. LOVE IT!

Was at a gun show looking for a nice K-22 when I spotted

my new baby. VERY happy accident.

·
Registered
78 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
ALL wonderful handguns,when we tried to make each shot "count",instead of "the spray and pray" mentality!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bud,
Thanks for the clear history on the OM. Proof House dates mine to 1932. The barrel is marked *Officers Model 38* and underneath are the words *Heavy Barrel*. The gun certainly lives up to the above quote.
Tom

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Dick, you asked me a question, and my email is down because of a computer crash. My answer is buy it! They are going nowhere but up.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Bob, I think I will take your advice.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Thanks, Bud! Your excellent review on the various Officer's Model revolvers, has answered any questions that I had(And, more!)! In fact, you have boosted both my "Enthusiasm"(And knowledge!)of these very interesting OMT's!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

Thanks very much for the primer. I know next to nothing about officers models and really appreciate the information.

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts

Great job Bud ! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How about several of you guys go to Bud's Profile Page and give him a 5 star rating . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm tired of seeing 2 under his name /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
323 Posts

Very informative, Bud. Thanks.

I have just gotten to know the Officer's Model. I picked up a 1960's era .22 last month and I am looking for a .38 to go with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old post, but this is exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you for a great post!

Only one question, under the comment about "various grips," can someone tell me what "various" may entail? Does that mean two, three or four variations?

Just curious.

...and what is the "BOCFA?"

·
Registered
362 Posts
Bud,

Thank you for the informative contribution. I really appreciate the time you spent putting the various versions of this model into perspective.

Best Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
This is a good old thread to bring back. No telling how many newbies we have had since it's debut.
I have my own officers model now (circa 1948) and understand much better the devotion of the OM's fans, since I now ARE one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts