Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

aHi Hi All, I am new here. I have been on the Smith and Wesson forum for a few years (same name...bigmoose), and was encouraged to post here about a Colt I just purchased.

I went to a small local gun show yesterday not expecting to buy anything. The second table I came to, I found this Colt Official Police .22. I know very little about pre war Colt .22s. I examined it closely, talked with the dealer ( it came from a collection of high condition older guns), and bought it purely on instinct. All the factors I look for told me it was quite a collectible revolver. I hope I was right.

Condition: 100%, most likely unfired.
Low serial number
Ivory grips. Absolutely perfect condition.

What do I have here? I spent about what you would expect to pay for a high condition post war K22 with a box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ond table I came to, I found this Colt Official Police .22. I know very little about pre war Colt .22s. I examined it closely, talked with the dealer ( it came from a collection of high condition older guns), and bought it purely on instinct. All the factors I look for told me it was quite a collectible revolver. I hope I was right.

Condition: 100%, most likely unfired.
Original box
Low serial number: 11xx
Grips: IVORY!! Absolutely perfect condition.

What do I have here? I spent about what you would expect to pay for a high condition post war K22 with a box.

I guess I could subscribe to the Colt forum, but I have more familiarity over here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excuse the cell phone photos, I don't have possession yet, as there is some paperwork here in NY to complete.

Attached Thumbnails

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice catch. Thanks for sharing.
Are you going to use it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I hate to admit it, but it will be safe queen. I have a few K22s that I shoot regularly. Should I request a factory letter on this revolver? How much does it cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
welcome to the forum from N. TX. , that is a very nice OP. you have one just like mine that i also got at gun show a few weeks ago but mine is a 38spl., would love to have a 22 that matches.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Looks like it was made in 1930 which, as you probably guessed from the low serial number, makes it a first year gun. I don't think the Ivory stocks are factory original, but they are beautiful. The 6 inch barreled version of the Pre-War OP in .22 LR is a scarce gun. The 4" barreled version of the Pre-War OP in .22 LR is very rare. You have a great Pre-War Colt DA revolver. Enjoy your Colt.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
At the risk of offending "delivery," the box pictured cannot be the original since it is of Post-War style. The stocks are probably not factory-original, but only a factory letter ($75) will tell.

It would not hurt the gun to shoot it a few times. Someone from the "Dark Side" should experience the excellence of a Pre-War Colt. :D

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

1 - 9 of 9 Posts