Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told from various parties over in Firingline.com that the Colt Official Police Revolvers from the year 1940 forward were declared by Colt to be able to handle any .38 special round of the day, including that of the .38/44 used in S&W Heavy Outdoor .38/44 which is hotter than even the .38+P of today.

Your thoughts and knowledge please. I'm all ears.

Thank you,

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug.38PR (edited 03-16-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Doug.38PR: First,Welocome to the Colt Forum. The 38/44 was cleared for the 3 frame sizes of Colts,earlier than 1940,probably around time of the rounds intro,around 1930. The original round was hot! Driving a 158 gr. bullet around 1150 fps. That is nearly as hot as most factory 158 gr. .357 Magnum loadings today.

That said,I have a "few" Official Polices,and other than a few handloaded 38/44s out of a rare 1940 vintage Heavy Barrel (6") O. Police,to see how it performed,I keep my handloads under 1000 fps with 158 grs.

The O.P.(and others built on the E/I frame) is a stronger framed gun(.41 Colts were chambered in its size) than the S&W M&P,which are not "cleared for +Ps if they were built prior to 1956 or 1961,depending on what source you read. I use "hotter loads" in my O.P. sizes than a couple of pre war M&Ps I have.

So,enjoy the gun,but always keep in mind,the "age of the steel". I will not push .38 Specials and 32/20s,in a couple of the O.Polices predecessor guns,built prior to 1920.

Have fun,be safe,and enjoy the O.Police. They will almost always have a smooth action and "trigger",that you would have to pay Python prices to get on a new gun. Bud

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doug,
Glad you made it over here. The OP is built on the same frame as the Army special was, basically the same gun just a different name. They are strong guns and could handle strong loads. But keep in mind the age of the gun and it's mechanical condition.

If you describe the piece and lay out it's serial number (for security reasons you can place an xx where the last two digits are) folks here can tell you when it was made.

tipoc

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tipoc:
Doug,
Glad you made it over here. The OP is built on the same frame as the Army special was, basically the same gun just a different name. They are strong guns and could handle strong loads. But keep in mind the age of the gun and it's mechanical condition.

If you describe the piece and lay out it's serial number (for security reasons you can place an xx where the last two digits are) folks here can tell you when it was made.

tipoc
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh the older one that I currently carry was made in 1944 and I have another one having some repairs done that was made in 1961

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts