Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I have been a member here for awhile but read more than post. I have come across and agreed to take a Colt official Police model in .22 caliber. It has a 6" barrel and fixed sights.I was also told by the seller that it was made in the early 50's and I do not see much on the .22 caliber model and wondered how popular they were or how many were made? I know NOTHING about Colt revolver's as this will be my first one as well, so any information would be very helpful. Are they and accurate revolver as well ?Is there any issues I should be concerned about on this model?Does anyone make a larger target style grip for this frame? What letter frame is this? Thanks to all that reply, Hammerdown

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Colt Officers Model in .22 Caliber questions

Your going to have to get the serial number there are three different revolver models it could be. After WW2 Colt continued to produce the Officer's Model Target in 22, and then in 1949 Colt began producing the Officer's Model Special. The third model it could be is the Officer's Model Match that Colt started producing in 1953. The 22's had there own serial number range staring in 1930 and ending in 1969 around 84,000.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

But I don't believe any had fixed sights. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hello A1A
Good catch.. Told you I didn't know anything about Colt Revolvers.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I have edited my post the revolver in question is an "Official Police". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks, Hammerdown

·
Registered
907 Posts
In 1930 Colt introduced the Official Police and Officers' Model in .22 caliber. They built about 30,000 OP's ending in 1967. They referred to them as .41 or "E" frame size. The OP had fixed sights and the OM's were adjustable. The OM's action was "hand finished". To quote the introductory flyer:

"There has long been a demand for dependable heavy frame revolvers chambered for the economical and highly satisfactory Caliber .22 Long Rifle Cartridge. Colt answers this demand with two favorite revolvers built on .41 caliber frames - The Colt Official Police Revolver and the Colt Officers' Model Revolver. Both retain in Caliber .22 every mechanical feature that has made them famous in the larger .38 Special Caliber, - and make it possible for the shooter to shift without change of grip, feel, balance or sighting from the heavy .38 Special Caliber to the ideal indoor and outdoor .22 Long Rifle Cartridge. The Police Officer and the target and outdoor shooter will welcome with real enthusiasm the Colt Official Police and Officers' Model Target Revolvers in the new .22 Caliber. Both will be found indispensible for target practice because of the absence of recoil, shock and loud report - as well as the economy effected through using the economical .22 Caliber ammunition."

The OP's are good shooters. The only caution would be to remember not to dry fire without snap caps or spent cartridges or you will damage the firing pin. You should be able to find different stocks without any problem. HTH

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

i will add just a little,op .22`s were made in 4in. and 6in., the 6in. is the more common.i have one of ea. and mine are great shooters. they were a popular police trainer and my 6in.{dom 1937} was a police trade on some class 3 weapons.the first guns were made without recess for the cart. head but this was changed in the mid 30`s for the hi-speed .22`s that were introduced about that time. any stock/grip that will fit a python will also fit your o/p, so as bushwacker said should be easy to find.a great gun, good find. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts

icdux:

You've got a rare one with that 4" .22 OP. I've never had the pleasure of seeing one. Maybe you can fire up that S&W camera of yours and post a pic or two.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

bushwacker:
ok, i`ll try to post a few photos tommorrow as i`m off.i have to pick up the wife shortly and take her to supper if i want to live /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif dont forget today is st valentines day!!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

gun is post war, dom is 1955. i have never seen a prewar 4in. o/p but perhaps they did make them. gun is mech. great but shows honest use. it`s a good shooter and very smooth. dont think it`s rare just not too common.please forgive poor quality photo`s.

·
Registered
907 Posts

She's nice. I don't think they were made pre-war, either. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a 4" model. They must have built a lot more 6" versions, as that's about all you run across. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

The 4" were NOT advertised in any pre war catalogs,and are "scarce". If a PD issued 4" guns,in .38,the 4" .22's made more sense for training. IF I didn't have a 1956 4" .22,I would have bought a duo tone blue one,with Coltwood stocks,from around 1950 or so. Sat in an area gun shop for months priced at $335,and in 95%,or so condition.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts

bud, i agree. i dont know the history on my 4in. gun but did get it from a state trooper. the 6in. prewar gun is a little better condition wise and i got it from a class 3 dealer in northern ky.who got SEVERAL{4 i belive} of them on trade from a local p.d. on some class 3 items.he told me one was near perfect which he kept for himself.i thought about lettering the gun but have no idea if it was shipped from colt to the p.d. or perhaps a distributor as it is not property marked. s&w made a simular gun called the mod 45 {.22 m&p} and the 4in is more common than the 6in.

·
Registered
110 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
IF I didn't have a 1956 4" .22,I would have bought a duo tone blue one,with Coltwood stocks,from around 1950 or so. Sat in an area gun shop for months priced at $335,and in 95%,or so condition.

Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bud, where are you located? I ask because I am talking to a local shop, with an Official Police, 4" barrel, manufactured in 1951 and said to be very tight with lock-up occurring about 1/8" before the funnel,grips of
wood grained plastic and the front sight filed down. claim is 95% condition, asking $335. Any reactions to that? (btw, as a newbie to revolvers, I didn't quite get the significance of the 1/8" before funnel reference). Would this be a good choice for a target/practise .22? And what did you mean by 'duo tone blue'?
thanks,
Ed (in Maine)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello
MANY thank's to ALL that replied to my post here. I will be taking delivery of this .22 caliber Official Police very soon. I look FORWARD to receiving my FIRST Colt handgun as well. Thanks again for all your support and encouragment about this model, hammerdown

·
Registered
42 Posts
You asked about larger target stocks.
The OP is an E frame and most I frame (Python) grips will work.
Also, CDNN has a couple of varieties of wooden stocks for Pythons that will work for the OP. Other than that, just keep your eye out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hammerdown,
In answer to your grip question here is what I did. I bought a set of cheap Siles grips off ebay. They were to fit a Python. I put on nice finish on them and put them on my Army Special. I use them for shooting and save thenice orginals for show.
Tom

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hammerdown,
I really like the Tyler T-grip 'solution' with the original-size grips. Since you're fortunate enough to have the stock grips, you might consider the Tyler.
Don

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don and Hammerdown,
The Tyler and orginal grips was my first solution. If you look in the picture you'll see the Tyler

In my case, those orginal grips are not wood and I believe them to be fragile. They already have a small crack. That's why I went the replacement route. I was looking for a set with which to use the grip adapter but I came up with something else. At least, now, I don't have to worry about cracking those old 1919 grip panels when shooting.
Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Colt O.P. in .22 Caliber is a BIG Hit..

Hello
I took Delivery Yesterday of the Colt Official police I questioned about here awhile back.This is my 'FIRST" Colt and In the Past I have bought Several K-22 S&W revolver's but stayed shy of the Colt's as I did not know much about them and they Usually were more than I could afford. The seller was Really under estimating the finish on this older .22 model and I was REAL lucky to get it for about HALF of what the average on them has been in recent auctions, or what you have stated there worth here. I cleaned Many Years of oil, powder residue and Gum off it to have it turn out like shown, and was impressed at the quality of the Bluing with very few Blemishes or concerns other than normal wear for it's age.I was not aware that Colt put such a rich glossy finish on Official police models like this one showed once I got all the many years of crud off. For cleaning it up I used a great product imported from England,Called Renaissance "Pre-Lim" and it is a mild abrasive Pre-Cleaner that takes the micro rust off that the naked eye can not see, and leaves a nice Lustre without thinning or harming the original finish. I then followed up with the same product in there synthetic wax, and have used this awhile on all my revolvers and it keep's the finger prints off them as well on Blued or Nickel finishes.the use of this product also allows me to use OIL only on the action and moving part's which leaves one with a nice looking revolver all the time, and I Find when the Wax is applied to the Face of a cylinder and inside the action,along with the recoil shield area it makes clean up alot quicker as it shields the parts much BETTER than any oil I have used in the past.I bought this like ALL my revolver's to SHOOT and It shot excellent and grouped well.I quickly found out though It Did NOT like the faster .22 ammo CCI-Maxi-Mag ammo and actualy shot and grouped-2" low and showed erratic non consistent grouping as well with it,I then switched to PMC and it grouped at point of aim with the cheaper PMC Lead bullets, slower velocity less HOT ammo. I feel this was the nature of the beast in that this Official Police was made long before Maxi-Mag's were even thought of. I love the silky smooth cocking action,as it feels like it is on Ball bearings and with this being my FIRST Colt, NOW see what Colt owners mean when they say Smith&Wesson spent all there time & Money on the "OUTSIDE" of there revolvers while Colt spent all there time & Money on the "INSIDE". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifAll my other revolvers are S&W's and I was Badgered by Member's "Knob Mountain" & "D.Henry" to get myself an older Colt to see what a fine revolver they really are and what I have been missing and I am glad I now have one "thanks to them", and am sorry I waited so long to get one like this as well. I like every thing about this Revolver OTHER than the CHEESY small Factory Plastic grips.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif NOW I will hunt for some wood ones with a lager profile. Special thanks to all that answered my Amateur questions, and I would like to extend a special Thanks to member "Bushwacker" as well for privately answering some of my questions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gifI was told by the seller this Colt is a 1951 Vintage and if any members have a way of telling from the serial number on this revolver I would appreciate a P.M. from you if you have access to the serial numbers for this time frame, I would be glad to share my serial Numbers with you to confirm the accuracy of the sellers date of this revolver as well.Take care, Hammerdown

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an OP and an Officer's Target 38. I have been looking around for grips for some time now and have picked up quite a few.

CDNN has some very inexpensive wooden grips that will fit the OP. These are noted at their site as being for the Python. The "Competition" grips are full-sizes bullseye grips. The "Checkered Walnut Grips w/Thumbrest" are very nice. These grips are so inexpensive that one can afford to buy some and customize them without fear of loss of value.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/colt1.html

Pachmayr also makes a Python Presentation grip that will work, but personally I found it a little large.

Colt made walnut grips for the OP in the '30s and I have an extra pair if you want one. If you are a lefty, I recently picked up a pair of faux stags that have a palm swell on the LH grip.

In general, different grips come up on Ebay from time to time. Figure out whether you want utility or slick presentation. Keep an eye out, but be aware that sometimes the bidding gets ridiculously steep.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts