Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a photo thread dedicated to the Colt New Police, Police Positive and Police Positive Special. We have one for the Colt Army Special as well but none for the revamped Official Police.

You got 'em? Post 'em here! :cool:

My favorite Official Police is this one, originally owned by the late Country singer, George Jones:

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Not as beautifully preserved as the previously shown specimen, but an honest working gun with a long service history:

Allentown, PA, Police Department. Made in 1950, shipped in March 1951. Ordered factory-stamped with department number. The stocks aren't specified in the letter; this being 1951, it should have shipped with Coltwood stocks. Since the OP stayed in service with APD at least through the 70s, I suspect by 1960 at the latest the department armorer had a box of replacement wooden sets on his shelf when officers came in with cracked or loose plastic stocks on guns acquired during the Coltwood era.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Two of the early revolvers we carried in the early to mid 1900's at the NYSP were Colt Official Police's; stamped NYST on the backstrap. Here are mine: the first is the OP 6 inch and second the OP 4 inch. I wanted to show a photo of the NYST on the backstrap; the third in that photo just happens to be a New Service.

Colt OP 6 inch NYST.JPG Colt OP 4 inch NYST.JPG NYST revolvers stamped.JPG

·
The Consummate Collector
6,431 Posts
Cam, while the King rib and adjustable sights make that piece so spectacular, I can't pry my eyes off the gorgeous wood of those stocks!
Thanks Tony. They were the first pair of Colt stocks that Keith Brown did. I had asked him to do a pair for my Colt many years ago and he finally sent me an E-mail saying that he was ready. Obviously I am more than satisfied. I appreciate your kind words.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is pic of my Police Positive Special .32 ctg. Made around 1956. I wanted a revolver for shooting some .32 ammo I had and I ended up with this gun. I only paid a few hundred for it and did a strip and refinish. The way the refinish turned out it still looks like a well weathered worn gun rather than a bright new looking rebluing. I am pretty sure due to the sanding marks, which I removed, that it had been refinished before. I enjoy shooting it and like the looks of it even if it isn't in a pristine condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree, the stocks are awesome.
It took me a long time to realize the magnitude of your collection, 9 months of viewing. Fantastic!!! I guess I'm slow on the uptake, but I did see those stocks. I noticed it's my 1000th post as well, and that's directly proportionate to the quality of this forum. Thank you.

Cam, while the King rib and adjustable sights make that piece so spectacular, I can't pry my eyes off the gorgeous wood of those stocks!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Some how, I have missed this thread! I have one Colt OP revolver that I bought about 6 months ago and it sure is nice with a very sweet trigger. It was manufactured in 1964 and a dealer friend of mine had it and I needed at least one for my other DA revolvers. After shooting it, I was impressed! I also liked that shape of the Hammer.

IMG_0809.JPG

1 - 20 of 163 Posts