Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Gents! I am new to the board, but have been futzing around with Colt's since I was about five! In fact, the first handgun I fired was my Dad's pre-war Woodsman, and the first centerfire handgun I fired was his 6" Colt .357. He is a dyed-in-the-wool Colt man who favors Pythons, while I keep straying over to the dark side, messing with Smith, Rugers and Brownings.

Anyway, I have stumbled across an older Official Police that is calling to me. The price is reasonable and, from the description by the seller, it seems to be in good shape with a good, bright bore and good timing and lock up. Bluing is about 85%. The barrel length is 4" with a half-circle front sight. The serial number is 544XXX. I don't have any references handy, but I think is was made around 1935 (am I close?). What grips are correct for this model? Walnut or black hard rubber? Any info or advice you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wayne Miller

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wayne we need more guys over here perusing the Colt Forum. That gun is a little older than you thought, it was made in 1929 sometime around the time of the stock market crash. WOW! If that gun is still 85%, you have a real find there. I'm no expert, but I think they were hard rubber stocks on that gun. We would love to know the caliber, is 22,32-20,38-200? 38SPL?. You can give us the inside dope, about how much can you buy it for, this is how we obtain data for future reference. LOL DICK

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Pre-war OPs came with checkered walnut grips.

Welcome Wayne,
Pull up a chair and sit a spell. We love to swap stories and info about Colts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome! The OP is a .38 Special. I still haven't decided to buy it yet, but I am sure thinking on it. If the pre-war OPs came with checkered walnut, when did they have the black hard rubber grips? Thanks!

Wayne

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Welcome to the Colt forum.

The early 1900's Colt revolvers had the "gutta-percha" rubber grips, with molded-in checkering and the Colt pony emblem.

The change to checkered walnut grips with silver medallions took place sometime in the 30's.
For your gun, the rubber grips would be correct.

These turn up from time to time on Ebay, and Gun Parts Corp sell plastic replicas.

The originals are tough to find in good shape, due to the problems with age-induced cracking, chipping, and shrinkage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts