Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Official police has a Serial # 760XXX, which by the info I have, dates it to around '48-'49. The front sight is a narrow serrated ramp. Were they using that type of sight that early, or has my gun been rebarreled?
Also, I aquired a set of grips which are similar to the S&W magna grips in design and small enough for a police positive frame. Haven't seen this type before. Does anyone know what I have?
p.s. They have the Colt medallion.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
907 Posts
During that time frame ('48-'49) Colt's began using a ramp front sight instead of the half moon, the cylinder latch changed from checkered to smooth, the hammer and trigger changed from checkered to grooved, stocks changed from walnut to Coltwood and the patent date rollmark on the barrel was discontinued. Nothing was thrown away, so guns were assembled with both pre and post war parts for a time. So your barrel is probably original...

Do you have a pic of the stocks? Can't place them.

B.W.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Agree with bushwacker about the transition period after W.W. 2 in the late 40's. There are other "transition" periods in Colt(and S&W) production periods,as far as mixing old and new parts. Part of what makes collecting fun-and-at times frustrating!

The stocks you describe,sound like those originally built for the ill fated alloy D frame Colt Aircrewman special in the early 50's. They went higher up on the frame,like the S&W magnas,as you said. Some had the Air Force shield for the medallion,others had Colt-and I think Sile offered this style a grip for a while,aftermarket, with their "no name medallion". Does help the edge of the frame below the hammer cutting the web of the hand in hot recoiling rounds.

Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen for your replys. My example has Coltwood grips, smooth cylinder latch and grooved trigger.
Regarding the grips, I can't post pics, however they appear to fit a short grip frame and the top inside frame would be straight, angling down toward the front,in order to fit the grip shoulder ta the top.
Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Concerning the grips:
One possiblity is that they may be service style stocks for an OP Mk III or other J-frames. They resemble the S&W magna style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts