Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took in this Colt official police in partial trade I was trying to date the year it was made.

I went to proofhouse but don't see any serial # witht the 3 letters in the # Can you help?

Thanks, BT

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Look inside the crane on the frame when you open the cylinder. That buttstock inscription is not the actual serial number.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay a 1952 gun do these have much value I hope I didn't over value it in the trade deal I am in at about $425.00? Here are a couple pics I still need to clean it up.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
You have a fine used example of the early 50's Official police with the dual tone finish and "Coltwood" stocks that are made of plastic that often shrinks. I would consider you paid about right.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Carried a lot and coltwood stocks starting to shrink a tad ( lighting isn't that good). Probably a security guard weapon. Glare is making it difficult to see if front of frame exhibits same wear as barrel but cylinder has a lot of finish wear and scratches by release. At your price in, maybe a bit high but not overly so.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Depending on whether the second letter is an "F" or an "E", this could be an Atomic Energy Commission security gun.

Just what I was thinking.

Although, with their budget, one would have thought they could have been a little more neat with their ID stamping.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That's not a bad price for what appears to be a 4" revolver. That barrel length generally
commands a premium price, and makes a great shooter...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I can't tell on the second letter looks to be the top of a "E" but that may just be what I want to see!! I guess I could get it lettered but probably would not increase the value that much.

I think I will take some good pics and list it for sale at about $375.00 I will take a bit of a loss but did okay on the other gun in the deal.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
A high quality Model, which has it's own following ( ie: being some ways Post War, ramped front sight, etc ).

It should do fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts