Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people have purchased them recently? I have a NIB one and just missed a slightly used one.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized that this was the 10,000th post on the revolver forum. Well, it is good ta have this post covering one fine revolver. I consider it the Python of 22s.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I bought one "mail order" from a catalog a couple years ago; it was advertised as 99% but arrived reblued and out of time. Got a partial refund from the dealer and kept it as I didn't have an example for my collection. Then I had it retimed, used it a bit (it shot great), but decided to sell it and look for a better example, as I have a couple other Colt "shooter grade" .22's (OP and Challenger).

I do have a nice OMM in .38 with box and target but would like to get a .22 (and better yet, .22 magnum) to match.

Mighty fine revolvers, in my opinion.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its too bad that everyone cannot be accurate in the descriptions of the guns they sell. When I buy off the internet I ask several detailed questions. Some people are insulted and some don't respond to the questions as they should. You just can't tell everything from pictures. I have had to send 3 back, and fortunately the money was returned. I am real picky, yet I should be if I'm buying NIB guns.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Picked this one up off one of the auction sites as a C&R. No box but in like new condition with a great set of stocks. Shoots great but is so darned heavy in 22. Guess I lucked out and got a good example. They are wonderful guns and a fine example of a bygone era of target shooting. CC

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ColtCobra and Ordnanceguy, those are fine looking OMM revolvers. They are from a bygone era and are definitely keepers. How accurate are they?

·
Registered
178 Posts
M2HB
As my eyes are declining and I am developing cataracts in my strong eye, the quality of my shooting has deteriorated. The OMM can shoot better than I could even in my prime. I do not have a machine rest but believe it is capable of great accuracy (less than 2"@25yds). It does not seem to be overly picky about ammunition. As I mentioned, it is a heavy revolver and it is hard to imagine long periods of offhand shooting as was once done with it. Sure isn't a "girlymen" gun. It is so endearing though and points and "feels" right. Ben

·
Registered
573 Posts
M2HB: It shoots great, far better than I am capable of I am afraid. I have not been very scientific about measuring its accuracy, but can attest that it is deadly on Coke cans at about 50 feet, which is about as far down the range as I bother to set them up. Not exactly Camp Perry style shooting, but it is what works on our range in the Big Cypress Swamp.

Charlie

·
Registered
153 Posts
OK, time for a question that has bugged me for awhile. What is the difference between the OMM and the OM?? I have an OM in .22 rf made in 1930.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
joed; the most obvious difference is the sights. The Officer's Models made before World War Two,required you to adjust the front sight for elevation,the rear sight for windage. Each sight had 2 small screws(often found f--ked up due to improperly fitting screwdrivers), an adjustment screw on each,then a locking screw,to hold your adjustments(hopefully). Post wars have a fixed front sight,and BOTH elevation and windage handled by the rear sight(a couple of different models here,depends on year of production.)

Post war Officers are also heavier barreled,and those made after 1953,or so,usually have the full sized target stocks,

I have a .22 Officers made a year after yours,and it is super accurate.

Interestingly,around here in N. New England,unless they are "mint" and'or NIB.,the pre war officers will sell for less than the post war Officers Targets and Matches,that are usually in better shape. A very savvy dealer told me,that he has had customers reject the pre wars as "shooters",because the 2 sets of sights are "pains in the ass to adjust". Me thinks he has a good point!

Bud

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here's mine; I'm a S&W guy, but as a good American, I also own a few Colts. This is one sweet shooting gun. I got it off gunbroker a couple of years ago, exactly as advertised, and at a good price. It was so nice I actually hesitated about six months before deciding to fire it! Turned out to be a great decision.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's my .22 Magnum. My wife bought it for me as a wedding present in 1975. I think she paid $115 for it. Both she and the gun turned out to be keepers!

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts