Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I don't know very much about the .22WMR caliber, I know the whereabouts of an(1960 vintage)Officer's Model Match revolver in the .22WMR caliber. It is in 99% overall condition and is all original(Except no box, tools or papers!). If I could obtain this OMM for around $995, would it be worth it to buy this gun as a collectible? I ask this because I have heard that only a few of these OMM's were made in the .22WMR caliber. However, I also know that years ago, you couldn't sell these OMM's in this .22WMR caliber! Would this be the current situation today-or, has the tide turned in favor of these .22WMR OMM's as a good collectible revolver, in view of their supposed rarity? If these guns are not that collectible-then, I wouldn't be interested in buying a gun like this? Any help will be greatly appreciated? Thank you!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What makes me wonder about these OMM's revolvers, chambered in .22WMR, is that there hasn't been much discussion about these at all, on any of the gun forums? It would seem, that for any popular Colt, that there should be quite a bit of discussion about them? I would also like to believe that there should be some Colt Forum members(And, owners?)of these OMM's in the .22WMR caliber who would come forward here, and relate their feelings about these revolvers? I think that Internet pricing can be misleading-since those sellers tend to "Pump-up" the pricing abnormally, for almost every gun they attempt to sell. Since I don't have any experience regarding these .22WMR OMM's, at this point, I have no way of knowing whether or not, if the supposed rarity of these guns, is enough to make them a desireable collectible-or, if instead, the .22WMR caliber is still not popular enough to have created much interest in these guns? If this is true-then, it would be unwise, to bet on a dead horse(So to speak)? Again, any input will be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have heard that less than 1000 of them were made. Now I can't say about them being collectable, but they weren't very popular. In fact no handgun chambered in .22WMR was/is very popular because of the cost of ammo. With people looking at all Colts now it will probably be just a matter of time before they notice how few were made and get priced accordingly. Right now I guess you have to use your crystal ball on whether or not it's worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I think you ought to buy the OMM in 22WMR as a collectable. It's condition is within the generally acceptable condition range on modern firearms which I place at 95-96%+ condition.

The escalation of Colt prices in the last couple of years really makes a collector take a close look at the rarer models when they have the opportunity to purchase one. The OMM 22WMR will always be rare. The popularity or the re-sale potential is another discussion. But with the internet auctions and so forth, the market becomes quite broad rather than who you run into at a local gunshow. That has always been the advantage of the established dealer selling firearms.

The rise in prices really makes me question the pricing on such less common older Colt revolvers such as the Banker's Special. It is hard for me not to compare prices to a more recent and less rare Diamondback revolver. The market is very fluid.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1)Everyone here has given me good advice! Thank you all!

2)I spoke into my crystal ball and it advised me to pass upon buying this OMM chambered in .22WMR, in view of the fact that currently, it is uncertain, as to when it will ever reach a true collectible status(Despite the fact that it is a fairly rare gun!)because of the past unpopularity of the .22WMR caliber! My gut feeling is that someday, these guns will become quite valuable-but, for now, might still be unpopular enough to become a hard sell, in the current gun market? If I were much younger, I would probably live long enough to see the values of these .22WMR OMM's climb-but, since I'm older, this would be a risky proposition!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This OMM in .22WMR was offered to me by a gun dealer that knows me well at a price unavailable to anyone else! If I revealed this source, you would have to pay whatever his price might be? I don't think that you could get it for less than $1,250? Actually, there were two identical .22WMR OMM revolvers that had come into this shop at the same time! Both were in identical condition and the serial numbers were only about 2,000 numbers apart! Both fall into the 1960 vintage year serial number range!

·
Premium Member
9,696 Posts
Something is wrong here. Depending on the source, the number of Officers Model Match revolvers made in .22WMR varies from 500 to 850. And you find this not collectable? What does it take to make something rare enough to be collectable? The past unpopularity of the .22WMR is precisely what makes it so collectable. There has been little discussion because there are so few to discuss. Have you ever seen one before?

Even at the "non-special customer" price, it is a bargain. Please reveal the source so those who do think it is collectable can have a chance at it. (Or them, what being that there are TWO in one place! What are the odds of that? Sounds too good to be true.) I wish I could find dealers willing to give up several hundred dollars when they sell me things!

For what it is worth, the OMM in .22WMR was not cataloged until 1961, and was only offered for one year as I recall. A 1960 vintage gun should have the desirable full-checkered stocks as well. All for only $1,250!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The dealer won't care who he sells these guns to. He'd just be happy that Colt38 sent some business his way. Maybe even line him up with further discounts in the future. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll bet you $2 to a donut he doesn't share the location.

We are all standing in line waiting for the left overs............

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I turned them down before 38Coltsaw them... if you are interested here is the number and owner...(925) 937-3376 ... Ask for Chuck...

·
Registered
180 Posts
My wife bought me one in 1975 as a wedding present--I think she paid $115 for it. I still have it and it outshoots both my S&W Model 48s! My son and daughter can fight over it someday!!
Photobucket

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After all of the information that has suddenly come forth, regarding the .22WMR OMM in question, I can't help being disappointed in this forum! I earnestly tried to learn from this forum, about the potential collectibility of this OMM? Yet, the more knowledgeable members(Like JudgeColt)failed to come forward with any information-until AFTER I had made my decision to pass on buying this revolver? This information was very important to me, or else I wouldn't have originated this thread here! I can understand not much discussion going on about these .22WMR OMM's from the lack of these guns being readily available? However, my belief is that there were several more knowledgeable Colt experts on this forum, who evidently chose not to come forward, to respond to my queries? It would seem reasonable to assume, that any Colt "Enthusiasts" out there, should have at least, been willing to discuss these .22WMR OMM revolvers-just for the sake of filling in a newbie like myself with the much needed information that I had requested? Although I had thought that this .22WMR OMM revolver should have "Theoretically" been considered to be a collectible gun, in view of it's rarity, since there was practically no input at all, coming through here, regarding this thread, I had just concluded from this, that this gun wasn't considered to be a viable, collectible OMM? As much as I have always enjoyed coming to this fine forum, I evidently made a mistake, in depending upon this forum, for the answers that I had been seeking?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
38Colt,

You asked "I'm curious as to the reason you had turned down these two .22WMR OMM's?"

I saw them when they first came in. I bought the very early Army Special frame style Officer's Model Target (s/n305xxx) that was with the group for my collection. The two OMMs would be shooters for me, (1960 vintage)not collector guns ... (I did just convince myself to extend my collection from pre-wwII to the Officer's Model Special series made in 1952 though)).

But these two OMMs are just too late for me to collect and I didn't want to spend that much on a ".22 Mag shooter". I also passed on the 70s Python ... I must admit I was tempted as it did have a good action, but even at $850 it was more than I like to pay for guns that will get banged around in the field... I'm kind of hard on them ... an example is my hunting buddy who was carrying a NSKK Marked Walther PPK pre-war on one of our hunting trips. He had it tucked into his waistband and didn't check it. The slide got all corroded from his perspiration that "sweated" through the soft leather holster he had it in... ruined a pretty valuable gun.

I'm pretty much a collector of pre WWII and very early postwar guns... The later stuff for me is for shooting ... Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
38Colt,

Lets see here... You asked your question late in the evening on 10/31/06 and you had several replies throughout the day on 11/1/06... I don't know about the rest of the forum members, but I don't hold myself in standby here just waiting to answer your questions... I check in periodically most likely like the other forum members and reply to threads as I have time... I think you are expecting a little too much here... I think all of the members who wrote gave you some good input... you need to lower your expectations a little and take responsibility for making your own decisions on collector values...

Just my opinion....

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
COLTDAGUY:

No, I did appreciate the input that I had previously received-and, I didn't rule out the possibility that some of the more knowledgeable forum members, might not have read my thread yet? However, it seems ironic that the good information only started flowing in here, the moment that I had revealed that I was going to pass on buying this OMM(Although I know that this could still have been just a coincidence?)? Still, this just made me wonder about this and had made me a little disappointed that not much input had come through, prior to my decision to pass on buying this OMM? I didn't intend to place any blame-but only that I was disappointed in not receiving any solid responses from those Forum members, really in the know about these .22WMR OMM's! And yes, the decision I made, was entirely mine! Maybe I'm just used to the volumns of information, that seems to readily flow, on some of the other gun forums about practically any collectible gun that is discussed(Example: The S&W Forum!)? I apologize, if I had offended anyone? I'll just make an effort to try not to raise my expectations too high on this forum, from now on? It's just that I was offered this .22WMR OMM at what had seemed to be a good price and, I didn't want to lose this revolver, in the event that it would have turned out to be a real collectible(And, desireable!)gun? I was into a panic state-because I knew that I had to make a decision soon-and, I just didn't receive any conclusive evidence one way or another, to aid me in making my decision! And, I didn't want to spend alot of money on a gun that could turn out to be a "Dead horse"? Well, no harm has been done! I have calmed down now-and, based upon what you have just said, about considering those two .22WMR OMM's to be just shooter's and, not being that collectible, makes me feel much better! Thanks!

ADDENDUM: BTW, have you found very many Officer's Model Special revolvers to add to your collection yet? If so, what calibers do you have in these OMS's?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Colt38 I would agree with what COLTDAGUY said and would add one additional thing. What you are often asking on the forum is investment counseling. Every gun you ask about has the main agenda of initial value, collectability, future appreciation, etc. Not because you love the intrinsic value or artistry, or for even for shooting purposes. You have pointed out, you don't shoot any of your guns and haven't for 40 years.

Now I'm not hammering you or faulting you for wanting to invest wisely. And if this is part of your retirement plan, I'm sure you will do well, as you have chosen wisely. But for many of us this is a hobby. For you, it seems to be more of an investment strategy. And it is hard to expect quality investment counseling without the help of a professional advisor.

Look at the bright side, you still have time to run out there and make the purchase long before any of us here can make any arrangements with the owner. I for one have not yet made the call. Good luck on your decision.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts