Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt OMM\'s

Geeze what an almost dead forum.
Posting this just on the chance someone knows about Officers Model Match revolvers.
I'd like to know the years the model changes happened. And the approx age of #9160xx.
Also are there any really good restoring gunsmiths out there for Colts like this. I have two now. One has a loose crane gate that does lock up with the trigger back. But the gate opens a 1/16 crack at front at rest.
The one has the hammer spur bent to the left very nicely.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Colt OMM\'s

OMM 9160XX was built in 1957.

I note that you are from Oregon. As I'm in Ohio I'm unable to recommend any smiths in your locale. Worse, because of the shortage of smiths able to do a really good job with Colt revolvers, I learned to do my own work.

Of nationally known firms, I suppose that Cylinder & Slidehas as good a reputation as any. I'm not sure if they are interested in this old a model, but they'd be worth checking with.

You (or your smith) may be in for a parts chase with both of your Colts. As these are hand fitted revolvers, you don't just drop in replacement parts. Sometimes you get lucky and can rework everything except the broken part, more often you will end up replacing one or more of the other parts as it does not have sufficient stock to work correctly with its mating components due to the reconfiguration of the action.

OMM's can be worth the trouble. Mine has a better trigger in both SA & DA than does my early Python, and shoots wadcutters at least as well.

For parts I'd check with Jack First (1-605-343-9544) or Pittsburgh Handguns (1-412-766-6100).

If you elect to do your own work, I'd get both of Jerry Kuhnhausen's books on Colt revolvers. One of these covers the D, E, & I frames, both are valuable, and easily the best on this topic.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 01-21-2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks bfoster
I opened up the OMM. Lots of dry lube and crud. A cleaning and lubing does wonders. When it stops raining here in Oregon, I will try it at 50 yds.
I have my eye on another OMM in Corvallis. It is about an 8" long barrel. It has earlier sights, slide rear and screw front. Non target hammer though.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Hamden106,

Here are a couple of scans from an old Colt dealer's catalog:

The parts list should put you (literally) on the same page as the vendors with respect to components.

The older revolver you are looking at sounds like an Officers Model Target. A true 8" barrel would be uncommon, though possible. Measurement will probably show that it is 7 1/2". These were available with regular and heavy contour barrels. The "non target hammer" is normal. Here is a picture of an Officer's Model Target:

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 01-22-2002).]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Bob
Pictures are great. I copied them to my files.
I have a nice 1965or6 Stoeger gun parts catalog that shows many guns in exploded view. Very interesting how cheap the parts were then.
The old OMT probably is 7.5" barrel. It for sure is the thin one. The gun is in great shape except the nonoriginal grip is carved up to be not too bad for slowfire. Can be had for $300. I am working on a trade with my Trailside. (That was a waste of effort for a bullseye gun, great plinker though)
I just saw at my local shop a middle size Colt rev. Looked like a 4" 38 police with smooth sights. I'll take some time tomorrow and check it out.
BTW the loose gate on the OMM is coming from the frame to crane fit. The bottom of the crane slops in the frame hole. The movement expands to almost 1/16" at the top of the frame/crane crack. The rear bolt pin seems ok. This OMM is s/n 907xxx. It has the rear sight style between the OMT and OMM 916xxx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Finally shot the new old OMM. Superb gun. Very accurate with bullseye wadcutters. Cleaning the insides and lubing made the action like new again. I wish they still made them this way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts