Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt OMT(.22)questions:

1)What were the years that these guns were made?

2)What are the specific design variations, that would make one Colt OMT(.22)more valuable than another one(Assuming equal condition?)?

3)Were the barrel weights the same on all of the OMT(.22's)or, were there ever any heavier barrel versions made?

4)I have seen three of these Colt OMT(.22's)side by side-and, I noticed that on one of these guns, the little rectangular piece(That holds the adjustable front sight in place!)was a little bit smaller, than the larger size of the other two guns? Also, the front sight itself, wasn't as tall(Even when set at maximum height? Which of these two front sight styles are the oldest gun(And, would "Enhance" the gun's value(If this would have such an effect, on value?))?

5)I have seen standard Colt wood grips and some "Fancier" Colt diamond type grips on these Colt OMT(.22's)? How much(On an equal condition OMT!)would this style of grips, increase the value of these OMT's?

6)On the OMT(.22)that had the nicer, Colt diamond grips, this gun, had a much more beautiful(Brighter & shinier!)blued finish, than the duller(Or, flatter looking blued finish, that I've seen on most OMT(.22's)!)and, does this characteristic, also, increase the value of an OMT(.22)?

6)List anything else to watch for in any OMT(.22)that would indicate a better(Or, a more valuable!)version of this gun, to buy?

3)

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Colt OMT .22(Differences, that make one more valuable, than another?)? Years made?

Someone could and should write a book on the variations of Officer's Models; I am no expert but will take a stab at your questions:
1. 1930-1949 (we're talking .22 Officer's Model Target, not other calibers or OM Specials or OM Matches, etc.)
2. The first year of mfg. the rear of the cylinder was milled flat. Beginning in 1931 the chambers were recessed to accomodate high velocity .22's. Any factory sight other than the most common patridge would be desireable. A barrel length other than 6" would be very rare.
3. I have never seen a HB .22.
4. No idea. Perhaps Colt's changed the sights to accomodate hi-vel ammo ca. 1931. Also don't discount owner modifications on target revolvers.
5. I believe that diamond grips would have been either special order (need factory letter to confirm - rare) or more likely swapped from an earlier 2nd series OM (so called deep-dish medallion).
6. Beware rebluing. It takes experience to tell a nice reblue - the metal will have a high sheen, but it reduces the collectability to shooter status. The original finish is nice, but not what I would call high polish (as with pre WW1 or Pythons).
7. My ideal would have the original box, numbered to the gun, test target, hang tag, cleaning brush, and screwdriver just like the day it was shipped. Another category that is interesting are pre/post war models (those assembled after 1945 with left over prewar parts mixed with new parts).
It goes on and on...Officer's Models are fascinating with lots of variations. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts
Re: Colt OMT .22(Differences, that make one more valuable, than another?)? Years made?

What are OMT "diamond" stocks?

(If one is going to be a real "Colt Person," one should know that Colt called those non-metal thingies on the sides of the frame where one's hand goes, "stocks," not "grips.")

The front sight height varialtion mentioned was probably just the result of one front sight being adjusted higher that the other.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

JudgeColt:

1)Yes, I realize, that I should have used the word, "Stocks" instead of "Grips"(As the correct definition!)however, I have seen the incorrect word(Grips!)used so many times, that I sometimes start using this wrong word! Thanks, for correcting me, regarding this!

2)No, among the three Colt OMT's that I had compared the front sights with, the older OMT(Made in 1931)had a less high front sight(Inner piece)and, a slightly smaller, little rectangle, that holds in, the adjustable front sight piece! I could see that the other two, had a taller front sight piece-and, I did think of the possibility, that the lower front sight piece just wasn't adjusted as high(As the other two OMT's)but, once I looked more closely, I could tell that the sight piece itself, was actually not as big(Or, tall)as on the other OMT's?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

My OMT was rather dull from years of laying around. A litle Flitz and some elbow grease brought it back to like the day it left the factory. So differences in finish could be no more than how each one was treated over it's life.

Taking a quess since I haven't noticed before, since the OMT came in various barrel lengths it may have the wrong sight blade installed.

·
Premium Member
9,464 Posts

I am still wondering about OMT "diamond" stocks. Whare are they?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am still wondering about OMT "diamond" stocks. Whare are they?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have seen a set of stocks with the raised diamond around the screw, but never thought they were a factory stock.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have also seen the raised diamond stocks, on two other Officer Model .38 revolvers, lately, in the same gun shop!

·
Registered
909 Posts

I assumed Colt 38 was referring to those where the checkering pattern resulted in an uncheckered "diamond" around the grip (sorry) screw, such as was used on the Officer's Model 1st. and 2nd. series and New Service Target models. At least that's what we call them up here in the Northwoods.

·
Registered
909 Posts

For an example of diamond stocks, go to www.davidcondon.com
category: Colts
item: 16997 (6th down from top of page).
This is an example of the so-called deep dish medallions, with diamonds. Don't the 1911 guys refer to diamond stocks on original WW1 vintage .45's?

·
Registered
40 Posts

I have a 1937 vintage Colt OMT in .22 that a few collectors have expressed interest in buying. Mine is in excellent 98% condition in the original numbered (but tattered) box. It has a couple of aftermarket modifications. It is wearing King sights front and rear, the front sight has a mirror in the base to reflect light at the red bead. The rear sight has a white outline. This particular gun is also wearing Roper stocks. It looks like this gun was put away in the box and not shot much after having the sights and stocks added.

I paid $650 for this one. Generally I prefer to buy only stock guns but there is an interest in both Colts and S&Ws with King modifications and Roper stocks besides the finish on this one is really nice with pristine screwheads.

Randy

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Randy:

How long ago, did you buy your OMT .22, for $650?

·
Registered
571 Posts

Randy: That is a handsome OMT you have there. I particularly like the Ropers. They look just right on the OMT. Thanks for posting the pics.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
40 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
Randy:
How long ago, did you buy your OMT .22, for $650?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I picked it about two years ago.

Thanks for the compliment Charlie.

Randy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts