Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mainsprings of Pre Wars are different from Postwars. Postwars have a dark light spring that has a main fold in the tip of the V but also has a smaller fold on the upper portion of the V as it fits in the gun causing greater strength in the V. All of this was done by machine. The PreWar, as I was told today, was hand folded once and bent by hand just right to fit into the gun.
My PreWar has a lighter trigger pull than the PostWar. the Smith of C & S told me that this was in part why the trigger pull was lighter. He also said that it had had some work done on it.

I was wondering, if I took some pointed nosed plyers and worked out that extra fold in the V in my Postwar would that lighten the trigger pull?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Doug; I would NOT,mess with that mainspring!!!

Their is another way to lighten tension,but if you get it TOO light it will misfire. The way is shown in some gun books,but you can mess it up.

Besides,Colts need a certain amount of tension to do "other functions"besides drop the hammer,unlike S&Ws with the rebound slide spring to return the trigger.

I have "adapted" pre war springs to post war guns(and vice versa),and notice that pre wars are thicker,without the bend. It is MORE than just the "wishbone" spring tension that is involved.

Can't begin to tell you the number of S&Ws I've seen with the mainspring "adjustment"(IT IS NOT!!)screw on the front strap "turned out" somewhat to give a lighter action. The lucky get a gun that wont function,the unlucky a gun that lacks the energy to ignite the primers-not good in a "social encounter"!!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts