Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found an original 1911 Military 1914-1915 model in pretty good shape that I want to bid on, but I'm a little confused by the serial #.
It has No. 75380 on the right side of the frame (as usual), rampant colt on the rear right side of the slide, and standard (for the time) stampings on both sides of the slide, with various military proofs.

My Colt book says this is a Springfield Armory - 1914, Proof House says the same,
but the Colt Firearms Serial Look-Up page says Colt 1914 (I would guess that it means "Colt" since its on their site and doesn't say Springfield Armory anywhere.)

Did Springfield Armory pistols have the Rampant Colt on the left rear of slide?

What do the experts say?

Thanks,
B50

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
As mentioned, Serial number 73580 is a Springfield serial number. It sounds like the pistol you found has a Colt slide on it which would make the gun non-original. If there are photos, I'm sure there are a lot of members here that would enjoy seeing them! (And we may be able to tell you a bit more about this gun, too...)

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
The RIA indicates it made a trip through Rock Island Arsenal where by all appearances it went through rebuild. At that point it received a phosphate finish and a mix of parts including the Colt slide and Colt WWII stocks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.