Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My latest purchase is a very nice cased London 1851 Navy with all accessories including spare main spring, hand and four nipples which I was surprised to find were marked Colt’s Patent on each flat did colt mark all its nipples? this must of been a time consuming process pics below, check your nipples. Richard.

1.jpg 2.jpg a - Copy.jpg b - Copy.jpg c - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've seen these but in my experience they are not too common. With Sam being a frugal person it was likely that cost saw their demise.

Rio

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Actually, the Nipples would be easy to manufacture on a lathe. A B&S Screw machine could spit them out very quickly, but the "automatic lathe" was not invented until the 1870s. I surmise that Colt used 2 lathes to make the Nipples by doing a couple opertions on one lathe and transfer the semi finished parts to another lathe to complete the operation. After that, heat treating and bluing.

On a B&S Cam Operated Screw Machine, it could spit them out at a rate of about 10 seconds each. Give me a 10 Spindle Automatic Cam operated lathe and I could spit out about one Nipple per second. Yes, the mechanical cam operated screw machine is faster than a CNC Lathe.

By the way "Richhack", that is a gorgeous package you have!!!!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
But how long would it take you to stamp 'COLT'S' on one flat and 'PATENT' on the other? (tried to insert a Smilie here but don't seem to be working) Guess Sam would have liked his workmen to be doing something more productive.

Sam

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I don't know about the originals but I bought some modern nipples from Track of The Wolf described as #11 caps replacement nipples for antique Colt's and they do have "Colt" or "Colt's" stamped on one side. There may or may not be "Patent" stamped on the other side, I didn't notice. I bought them because they thread into a couple repros I have, Centaure 1860 Army and Gregorelli & Uberti 1851 Navy. I can't check to see if they have "Patent" on the one side because I sent the guns and nipples to a gunsmith and haven't received them back yet. They are Item #POC-I at the following link:
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts