Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the recent discussion on the rifling used in the Paterson revolvers, this is a good time to point out that the bore diameter of the barrels are larger than the bore diameters of the cylinder chambers for these which many Colt collectors do not realize.

At The Gathering of Patersons event at the Texas Gun Collectors Association meeting of 2008 there were many Colt Paterson pistols and rifles gathered together. I had heard that the barrels were of larger diameter than that of the cylinder chambers so I decided to measure about 20 Colt Model #2 and #3 Belt Models that I could get permission to disassemble. The rumor proved to be true — the barrels measured about .015” larger inside than the chambers did. Other owners of different models reported the same.

So then the question was: did Samuel Colt think the bullet would expand upon firing into the barrel to capture the rifling or did he purposely do this to avoid pressure that could rupture the barrel or cylinder?

This is my Paterson #3 Belt Model.

Colt Paterson1.jpg

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Paterson bore diametersarticle.jpeg
-Excerpt from a letter dated September 23, 1977,from R.E Domian, Senior Product Designer of Colt Industries Firearms Division, to Philip R. Phillips, reproduced in Phillips and Wilson,Paterson Colt Pistol Variations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts