Colt Forum banner

Colt Peacekeeper .357 Magnum???

9K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  doctorfronk 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Generally said to be Colt's last gasp to grab even a small slice of the declining police revolver market in the mid to early 80's.(85-87??)

Don't think Colt called it "parkerized".but "matte blue",or some other "semantical mumbo jumbo".

Yes,it is a MK V. and made with 4 and 6 inch bbls.

Sadly,we don'tknow how many were made-but it appears to be VERY FEW.

Knew a young cop,just out of the academy,who's grandad bought him a new "Peacekeeper" in 4",and then the P.D. he got a job with,banned revolvers,and issued Glocks in 1988.

He was hard up for cash,and wanted to sell me the gun for around $200,I think,then. Turned him down,as I felt it was a gift from a Grandad who was proud of him becoming an LEO,but mostly I felt that the nearly NIB Peacekeeper was as ugly as sin,but didn't tell him that. Somehow,I always felt that these guns would be "collectable" in later years,and I'll bet there are afew MK.III and MK V addicts,who will find a BOA or a King Cobra before one of these!!

Bud

#4 ·
From your post on the other forum:

The Colt Peacekeeper was a flat black finished Colt Trooper Mark V, which was an upgrade of the Trooper Mark III.
It was built on the "V" frame.

During the big mid-80's strike, Colt didn't have enough polishers working to give the usual bright polished blue finish on everything, so they put what people they did have on the high-end guns like the Python, and introduced a line of revolvers with unpolished bead blasted blue finishes.

These guns were simply unpolished versions of standard polished models and included:
The Peacekeeper version of the Trooper Mark V.
The Commando Special version of the Detective Special.
And unpolished Cobra's and Agent's.

For unknown reasons, Colt didn't assign new names to the Cobra and Agent unpolished models, and as soon as the strike ended, Colt discontinued the unpolished guns.

The guns were fitted and finished inside to the same standard as the bright polished models, and were actually very good buys.
The Peacekeeper was made from 1985 to 1987.

In 1987, the Peacekeeper/Trooper Mark V was fitted with a new profile barrel, made in stainless steel, and sold as the King Cobra.

#5 ·
Bought a 6" new in the mid-late '80's when I couldn't afford a new Python on a cop's salary. Very accurate gun. I put around 200-300 rounds through it and put it up in the safe as by then we were carrying autos. I had hoped that with only a few being made that it would see a nice increase in value. Never seemed to happen. It's kind of a sleeper in the collector world. Traded it with box and papers two years ago for a S&W Model 16-4. Can't say I regret the trade, but then again, I also traded off my King Cobra. I will, however, hold on to my Pythons.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The Peacekeeper isn't exceptionally rare, having been produced for three years.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUT-HOW many were made????

The Marshall was listed in most 54'-56' Colt Catalogs,but sure in hell ain't many out there!!

I guess a better example would be the S&W 1950 Military in .44 Special. Listed,1950-1966-1200 Made.

Listing dates aren't the real world.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#10 ·
I have a Peacekeeper. I bought it because it was different, not so often seen but certainly not rare. I wanted a .357 that I wouldn't mind shooting stiff loads with and it does the job nicely. While it's no Python, the Mk. V action makes for a DA pull that is actually quite smooth and a SA let-off that is surprisingly crisp.

#13 ·
I have a Peacekeeper. I bought it because it was different, not so often seen but certainly not rare. I wanted a .357 that I wouldn't mind shooting stiff loads with and it does the job nicely. While it's no Python, the Mk. V action makes for a DA pull that is actually quite smooth and a SA let-off that is surprisingly crisp.

Back in the 80s one of my neighbors asked me if would be interested in buying his gun; turned out to be a Peacekeeper .357 magnum revolver. Even though I wasn't really interested did relent and bought it for $175. Its action is actually pretty good and is very accurate. Kind of ugly but still call it Python wannabe!:eek: Recently have seen such revolvers command upwards $1000 in couple of auction websites; guess my modest investment has paid off...

#11 ·
Based on my own gun show browsing and monitoring of internet sales, any of the MkV guns are borderline scarce, especially NIB condition MK V's.....Peacekeeper, Trooper, Lawman, Police Positive, and last but not least, the almost nonexistant Boa. In my opinion, the MK V's are some of the sleepers of the moment, and the next series of Colt revolvers to see prices go into orbit. The Boa is already in orbit because of the "snake collector' craze. I would consider any new condition MK V a steal at $300:00.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.