Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this is a newbie question. In ~1986, I got a Colt Peacekeeper with a 4" barrel. I've owned it since then, but for a variety of reasons, I almost never got it out to shoot. I'd estimate its round count since I bought it used in double digits. It sat on my shelf for decades. I have no box or papers to go with it. As far as I recall, I never had box or papers to go with it.

I've run searches on the forum. I've checked Gunbroker. However, most of the information that I'm seeing is either: (1) a year or two old; or (2) seems to apply to Peacekeepers with 6" barrels. The Colt serial number search turns up nothing. I'm seriously considering parting with it after all these years. I haven't shot it very much in the past ~30 years, I don't see that changing much, and I really don't keep safe queens. I've seen prices from $600 to asking prices of ~$2500. I know that asking prices are often sky high and that prices vary widely on condition. I'd call mine excellent condition.

My questions:
(a) Are Peacekeepers with 4" barrels any more or less desirable than ones with 6" barrels?
(b) Approximate value?

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me here.

Cordially,
SpatsMcGee

·
Registered
745 Posts
I bought a 6" one about 5 years ago for $500 at a local shop. In my opinion the 4" is less common but they aren't highly sought after colts. I would like to find a 4" one day just so I have the pair. I would think $800ish on value but others will give input aswell. Good Luck.

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
The Peacekeeper is a fine, heavy duty revolver. It's certainly not in the top-tier of Colt collectibles though. I would guess it's value would be somewhere around 50% of a similar Trooper Mark V, which is what it is with the matte finish. It's one of those examples of low production numbers not translating into market value.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input. You've pretty much confirmed my suspicions: It's more valuable than a Glock, but less valuable than a Python. ;)

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
It seems to me that if Colt wanted to keep the costs down on the Peacekeeper, they could have eliminated milling out the barrel vents and leaving a solid rib. I know these were during the strike years and there was a shortage of qualified polishers, so the cheaper finish was made available. Maybe the barrels had been made prior to the strike and only required roll marking and finish?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would hope so. I'd estimate my round count (after I bought it) to be below 100 rounds!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.