Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a brief review of my Colt Peacekeeper 357. First off, the parkerized finish is definitely different. It seems more in place today than it did back in the 80s. But it does seem to hold up well. At the range, it performed flawlessly and accurately. Wherever it was aimed, it hit. Very pleased with the accuracy. While it's not a Python, it is without a doubt a Colt! There are those that will put it down as a substandard Colt and that may be true to a point, but it's accuracy is right where it needs to be. Colt-like.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
It may not be pretty but there is beauty in the performance.

Reactions: dos0711

·
Registered
330 Posts
Strangely enough I have always had a fondness for the parkarized revolvers that Colt has produced. They are ugly compare to the blue, nickel, etc but there is something utilitarian and functionally focused that I like about them. I have a commando and agent with that finish and have enjoyed them both. Nice peacekeeper!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
Your 100% right about it being more in place today then when it was introduced. They currently sell for about the same as a finally polished MKV trooper. My 1983 vintage parkerized agent gives me the same all business feel and confidence with a low maintenance finish.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Built at a time of great employee unrest at Colt. Over the years I've owned 2 (both since sold) and both had a blemish in the same area on the right side of the barrel about an inch behind the muzzle. Does your's as well?

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Look at some of the Agents built during that time period. Some look fine and some look like they were made of mixed finish parts and tossed against a wall before being sent out the door. It was shameful the appearance of some Colts being shipped. It's little wonder why that era saw the rise of many 1911 clones on the market which were better finished, better assembled and less expensive.

Reactions: dos0711

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had one when they were being manufactured. It's the only revolver I ever sold. I didn't mind the finish, but the trigger on mine was one that I could never enjoy. Glad you are happy with your example. Shoot and enjoy!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Look at some of the Agents built during that time period. Some look fine and some look like they were made of mixed finish parts and tossed against a wall before being sent out the door. It was shameful the appearance of some Colts being shipped. It's little wonder why that era saw the rise of many 1911 clones on the market which were better finished, better assembled and less expensive.
The agent I had was from that time frame and it obviously had never been visited by a polisher. It wasn't terribly rough to the touch but you could see the rough metal beneath the finish. Didn't bother me so much, kind of reminded me of the worn finish they do with cerakote guns these days.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My 4 inch Peacekeeper was my first Colt.It sat next to the shiny nickle and blued Pythons and I said "I like that ugly gun and it will be mine." Well it sat for close to two years and the price tag went dropping from 675 to 225 dollars. When it was 225 I reached into my wallet and said it is mine. The owner of the shop said you have been looking at that gun and kept listening to "It is Ugly" and " who would want that" and you would say nothing. I just said if the price came to where I can afford it it is mine and I kept my promise. When it comes out to play it makes a impression and I would say welcome to my ugly gun and poor man's Python.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My 4 inch Peacekeeper was my first Colt.It sat next to the shiny nickle and blued Pythons and I said "I like that ugly gun and it will be mine." Well it sat for close to two years and the price tag went dropping from 675 to 225 dollars. When it was 225 I reached into my wallet and said it is mine. The owner of the shop said you have been looking at that gun and kept listening to "It is Ugly" and " who would want that" and you would say nothing. I just said if the price came to where I can afford it it is mine and I kept my promise. When it comes out to play it makes a impression and I would say welcome to my ugly gun and poor man's Python.
It must be nice to have gun shops that reduce a price after a while. I have seen guns for sale locally that have had the same price for three years.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
It must be nice to have gun shops that reduce a price after a while. I have seen guns for sale locally that have had the same price for three years.

I've seen the same thing...shops stay at the same price long after it's become obvious it won't sell at that level. My own philosophy is, after a set period of time, to lower the price and sell the item and free up the inventory dollars for something that will move faster.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
None of them were visited by a polisher.
That was the whole reason for the model.

During the strike, the few polishers that Colt could get to work were used on the more expensive models.

The Peacekeeper was a "strike gun".
As soon as the strike was over, so was the Peacemaker.
Denis

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I wanted one of these real bad as a kid. Probably strictly due to reading about the 8" Whitetailer. Still kinda have that itch that I somewhat scratched with a scoped 6" blued GP100 and Burris 1.5-4x but it's still there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts