Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I recently completed my little collection of Peacemakers in .22 caliber, still could use one more, but here are the 3 companions:

4.4' Barrel, 6" Barrel, 7-1/2" Barrel, all with 2nd .22 Magnum cylinder, original boxes and paperwork

Still looking for one with the 4-3/4" Barrel

TB

IMG_3016.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
If you are collecting Peacemaker .22s, don't forget the single cylinder models. They were shipped with only the .22 LR cylinders. Some of these are among the lowest production models.
Colt Model number
G1241 = PM22 with .22 LR cylinder, 4 3/4 inch (or 4.4 inch) barrel
G1261 = PM22 with .22 LR cylinder, 6 inch barrel
G1271 = PM22 with .22 LR cylinder, 7 1/2 inch barrel
G1441 = PM22 with .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinders, 4 3/4 inch (or 4.4 inch) barrel
G1461 = PM22 with .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinders, 6 inch barrel
G1471 = PM22 with .22 LR and .22 Magnum cylinders, 7 1/2 inch barrel

The New Frontier .22 revolvers had the same model numbers except the first digit was a "2" (i.e. G2461 was a New Frontier .22 with both cylinders and 6 inch barrel).

Most .22 LR only guns were made prior to 1974. Single cylinder guns are very rare in the styrofoam boxes. The few I have seen have been in boxes with no labels and the gun information written by hand on one end flap. I suspect that single cylinder guns were a special order item in the later years of production (1974 and later).

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Excellent TurquoiseBill. Your photo illustrates just how close the Peacemaker .22's look to their centerfire big brothers. I like the New Frontier .22's a lot as well although I think the shorter barrel models look odd with the adjustable sights. I discovered something about the Colt .22 single actions a few years ago after I bought a set of pin gauges and started measuring the cylinder throats all of my revolvers. They measure between .223"-.225" which is within the same range as my Colt OMT, OMM, OP and several Smith & Wessons. By contrast, my Old Model Ruger .22's measure between .226"-.227" and don't even have recognizable throats. They are bored straight through and you can insert an unfired round in the front of the cylinder just as easily as you can from the rear ! No wonder the Colts are more accurate than the Rugers. It wasn't just the color case hardened frames that made them more expensive when new, Colt also used proper tooling.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, yes it’s time to keep looking for the 4-3/4” barrel model as well as the single cylinder models, the hunt continues!

Don Wilkersons book on Colt Scouts & Peacemakers is a great reference book.

TB

·
Registered
77 Posts
Totally agree with you Bill about Wilkerson's book on the rim fires. The first gun I fired was my Dad's Single Six back in '57. Always had a warm
spot for .22 single actions since. Now I too am building a collection of G frames.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts