Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to determine what the grip cartouche initials represent on the Colt Peacemaker Centennial Cavalry model made in 1974. First I am not sure what the stylized initials actually are and do they represent an actual 1800's government inspector?

I have not been able to find an inspector with these initials, whatever they are, in any of my Colt Cavalry reference books.

Thank you in advance for any information on this commemorative SAA revolver.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I have been trying to determine what the grip cartouche initials represent on the Colt Peacemaker Centennial Cavalry model made in 1974. First I am not sure what the stylized initials actually are and do they represent an actual 1800's government inspector?

I have not been able to find an inspector with these initials, whatever they are, in any of my Colt Cavalry reference books.

Thank you in advance for any information on this commemorative SAA revolver.
How 'bout a pic?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not 100% sure, but the letters could be JLC who was Joseph L. Cottle -U.S. inspector for the Colt M1860 .44 and M1873 SA .45 revolvers from 1863-1875.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I once read and I will have to find the article that the initial are SLC which stands for Samual L. Colt.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have doubts that Colt's would copy an authentic cartouche for fear of fakery. For example, when they offered a 200th Year Anniversary Commemorative for the US Cavalry with the Model 1860 Army revolver, the grip cartouch was MSH for Marty S. Huber, the Colt Historian at the time. Picture below from Joe Salter's web site.

John Gross

·
Registered
503 Posts
IMG_3389.jpg
I am not an expert in typefaces but I have been a commercial printer for over 30 years. I matched up the lettering in question and appears to be an S. I agree with The Wizard SLC

·
Registered
503 Posts
What I meant to say is the above is not a perfect match but clearly in the style of stamp in question.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
This is a Civil War Colt I owned at one time. Note the "S" in both the top and bottom line. The inscription reads;

C. B. Safford / U. S. C. T.

John Gross

safford2.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
Some very good points made in the previous posts. Looking again it looks like the letters are SLC, the stylised S was confusing to me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps SLC stands for SamL Colt (‘ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY’, ‘ ADDRESS SAM'L COLT. HARTFORD CT’ and ‘ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S. AMERICA’)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts