Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here not sure exactly what to do but I have a Colt pen flare gun I would like to get rid of

·
Registered
639 Posts
They were common as dirt among the Huey drivers in sunny southeast Asia. The story is the ATF went after folks who kept them as "souvenirs" as, apparently, they will also fire a .38 Special cartridge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, they were derigueur for aviation and SOF troops as well as the URC 8 radio and a strobe light. I've never heard the rumor of them being 38 capable. Looking at mine that would not be possible. These were mine from VN to the GWOT. Bandoleers of flares came with either 6 or 8 flares, but the exact number escapes me now.

Pin Flare and Strobe.jpg

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I had one of those as a young man and even had tear gas carting es with it. Friend and I fired a tear gas cartridge just to see what it does and friend was dumb enough to sniff the cloud of tear gas.:bang_wall: Looking back it was kinda funny my friend Gary going through fits from his mistake.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mine's still in my SRU-21/P vest - marked 'Colt' on the tube - and no, you couldn't fire a .38 round with it - it used a battery cup primer to propel the charge.
I suspect the info about firing the .38 is like the bit about 7.62 cartridges. All those guys (many of whom really should have known better) who swore they could use "our 7.62" but we couldn't use their and similar concerning the .50 cal in the M2 and the DShK more often called the "51 cal."

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
At that time, there actually was a .38-sized gas pen that could take a .38S&W - problem was, it was largely plastic, and would blow apart.

Wasn't military-issue, though.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Boat kit and small aircraft kits use stuff that's pretty specific to the applicable regulations.

These haven't been issued for several decades - the military flare discharger is different, today - with no crossover flares.

I 'think' that the real maker was 'Penguin Mfg.', who subcontracted to Colt at that time, before selling directly to the military.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
not illegal , just sold one to a fellow forum member last summer ,maybe on the M14 forum ,old mind getting sloppy.
I see them from time to time on auction sites , they are just that a Flare pen gun.
have fun trying to find the flares :(. and if you do find them they are
about 10 bucks each and they don't all work cause they're old ( like me :bang_wall: ) LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got the same set-up in the picture I still have it both pin flare and strobe. That is not 38 compatible , if so you could also fire a 12 guage...I suppose just hold it in your hand...not

·
Registered
639 Posts
The pen flares might have been handy for signaling for scouts and downed pilots. On the tank it was the more conventional family of handheld rockets with parachute flares and various color star clusters. Around late 1969 or so we also started getting similar 40 mm flares for the M79, but much reduced in size

70-2.jpg CIMG8262.JPG 20091206232247132.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts