Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just inherited this Colt a while back, had it gone through by a reputable gun smith in town.
I'm looking at selling it.
It's in original condition and numbers matching except the cylinder.
The cylinder is the same time period w/ the Stage coach scene but very faint.
Was wondering what the price range would be for this model?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Unfortunately, in addition to having a replaced cylinder, your Colt 1849 has been reblued and the grips have been refinished. Therefore, it has no collector value. I would guess it has a value of around $125 or so.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'd guess a bit higher here in Ohio. I have seen somewhat similar 49ers bring near 300-400$. Its the reblue that really kills it as honest old brown or worn patina is always what is expected. Mismatch is always bad but from this era as long as they are close it isnt a deal killer that a very large mismatch is. Without the reblue but the rest as yours is would bring about 500

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Without reblue, $300 to $425. With reblue, it would be $150 tops!
Must be due to different locations. You would CRINGE if you saw my first 49er....a real rust bucket but I was happy to get it for 350$ in the late 1990s/early 2000s. About 5 years later I upgraded and sold the rust bucket for 400$ (I was actually able to get it working after doing some repairs to it).
In any case, I have seen specimens like the OP provided pictures of sitting on tables for around $400-500 but they took a hundred off to make the sale. I was definitely in the market for a nice 49er for the last few years and followed prices of them in all conditions at the shows quite closely. A different high dollar gun purchase puts me out of the buying category right now. I dont know where the original poster is located but market conditions must obviously be different in different areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts