Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have an opertunity to pick one of the Pocket Nines up. Does anyone have any experience with them?? Also whats a ball park price on these. Thanks in advance for any help offered. I want to the good and bad if any.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had one for about two years and sold it. Kind of kicking myself now. I picked it up for $600 and sold at 1K so I did ok price wise and money went into a special combat government.

As for the pocket nine it was a nice gun to have. Accuracy is on par for a pocket piece. They are getting harder to find in good shape since they are a carry piece and only made for one year before Kahr arms sued colt for patent infringement.

Mags are a bit hard to find but they are out there. Parts on the other hard is the main concern since from what I researched you cannot obtain some if you possibly had a breakage in the pistol. Finish is bead blasted and very easy to leave marks if it is carried. The trigger is long and a bit rough but for the time when it was made the trigger was typical to be long, heavy pull and rough. It is not all that bad. There is a trigger stop in the guard area and some state to pinch their finger when pulling trigger back. I never had any problems with mine in any way.

Some have had reliability issues and need to send in for service, Cylinder and slide will perform a trigger job and a few other adjustments if needed.

Price on the low side for one that was carried alot is about $650, NIB generally $1,000-1300.

·
Premium Member
9,516 Posts
My mother told me that if I can not say something nice, to say nothing at all. So on Mother's Day, I feel guilty about ignoring her admonition, but I will to help the original poster.

As I understand it, the original idea was to modify the Pony Pocketlite to chamber the 9x19 cartridge. When Colt did that, the service life was too short by Colt standards, so Colt began beefing up the Pocketlite, and the fat and bulky Pocket Nine was the result. It is as big and heavy as the Kel-Tec P11, but holds half as many cartridges and does not shoot any better.

To me, the Pocket Nine was the answer to a question that no one asked. Its main value is as a scarce Colt collector's item. When I heard Colt had discontinued it, I got on the phone and found four, which I bought. I sold three at inflated prices and kept the fourth unfired.

As a collector's item, the Pocket Nine will be a great investment, but for a concealed carry defensive piece, skip it and buy a Kel-Tec P11 for around $230 to $250. Carry a full-size Smith & Wesson M5900 series 15-round magazine as a spare.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the info!! I haven't heard back from the guybthat had it, but if the price is right I'll probably get it mainly as an investment item as Judge Colt recommends. It will depend on the price and condition though. Thanks again !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts