Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Anyone know the marking on this or what it means? Looks like it was a service pistol at one time in history for some Asian nation.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
Can you try a few more images of ther small characters, there is too much glare on the image above for them to stand out well...

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The grips are mother of plastic I think. Look like Ajax grips with medallions. I'd get some more appropriate checkered walnut grips for it if it were mine.
Nice gun though. Those are curious markings.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The grips are mother of plastic I think. Look like Ajax grips with medallions. I'd get some more appropriate checkered walnut grips for it if it were mine.
Nice gun though. Those are curious markings.
How could i tell if the grips are real mother of pearls or not?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The marking(s) may be asian, possibly Chinese. They look similar to those on a Mauser "bolo" illustrated on page 279 of "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1943". This Colt pistol could have originally been purchased by the Nationalist Chinese military and then captured by the Japanese, sent to the Pacific War front and captured, again, by a U.S. GI.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Some were sold to different business in Manila to be issued to the Philippine Constabulary, I have no idea what if any marks were placed on those, just an idea.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
As to the grips, rub them on the edge of your front, teeth assuming the ones in your mouth are original equipment. Real pearls will have a gritty feel, fakes will feel smooth.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Once you hold real mother of pearl in your hand you will understand. Completely different look and feel than the plastic stuff. Another thing about real MOP is that it doesn't get slippery when it's wet. If you hands sweat they stick to MOP.
They feel nothing like plastic. More like stone.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
That is a nice little gun. Can't say the grip panels do a thing for me, though. You might find some decent hard black rubber ones, or maybe some walnut.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Once you hold real mother of pearl in your hand you will understand. Completely different look and feel than the plastic stuff. Another thing about real MOP is that it doesn't get slippery when it's wet. If you hands sweat they stick to MOP.
They feel nothing like plastic. More like stone.
More like stone is exactly it - real MOP feels cold to the touch. Faux MOP doesn't draw any warmth from your hand.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As to the grips, rub them on the edge of your front, teeth assuming the ones in your mouth are original equipment. Real pearls will have a gritty feel, fakes will feel smooth.
MoFo of plasic indeed did this test... I have some black ones I bought for my 1908 Pocket Colt so I could use those... and those are beat but they are the black plastic ones correct for a 1921 gun. On my letter for that pistol Colt couldnt even tell me what grips it came with. I have had discussions on here about that very question and issue. I will see if I can find some good old wood ones...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Traded that 1945 GI bring back slave made non Nazi proof for this gun + 400 dollars cash. I know I came out on top this gun here I got shoots way better and the trigger is nice. I had two original Walther mags with the gun too. Malysh I told about this one...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Have you looked in John Brunner's excellent book, The Colt Pocket Hammerless Automatic Pistols? I have the first addition, but would need the serial # if you want help. (see pgs 100-115) Most aren't listed by individual numbers, except for general officers, but that's where I would start. If Colt shipped it overseas or to a purchasing agent, a letter would be helpful; but they are pricey and take months to receive. If it somehow got the markings after going through a few hands a letter probably won't help.

Doesn't appear to be Shanghai Municipal Police.

Possible other foreign shipments listed in Brunner's book include:
Tientsien British maritime customs police, Portuguese Macao colts, Malay Straits settlements police , Japanese, Southern Rhodesia, Western Australia police, Java, Dutch.... I

Interestingly Japanese Prime minister Hideki Tojo shot himself with a Colt 1903 32 on 9/11/45. There were 20,000 shipped to various dealers in Japan, including 140 to occupied Manchuria and 50 to occupied Korea.

Also over 10,000 went to Phillippines, 10,000 to Thailand and 8,000 to Java.

Ted

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It may be one of the Shanghai police issues. I'd letter that one.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
See pg 99 in Brunner's book. In 11/2/1944 in a shipment of 1000 1903 32's serial range 493450 - 563641 US Property and many others in this range were shipped to England. Some were never issued and declared surplus in 1964 and 1967 when they were sold, mostly still new and in the original factory or arsenal box.

Your serial number range is nowhere near the Shanghhai municipal police Colt range.

Interestingly, the 20,000 1903 32's shipped to overseas dealers, mostly Japanese, between 1919 - 1939 falls in your range s/n 429747 - 537979. Half of the 32's in serial 525000 - 537000 were sent to Japan.

Also the Dutch ordered 8371 1903 32's from s/n 518150 - 558612 in 1940-1942 for use in the Netherlands East Indies. see pgs 112-115.

Many possibilities. Get a letter!

Ted

1 - 20 of 20 Posts