Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a little tutorial on the Colt Pocket models to help you determine quickly and easily which accessories are proper for your Colt. This is a guide if you are looking for the right period accessories for your gun but if you have a mix of these items in your case set, well lets just say there are not a lot of people who can tell a bullet mold is for a Colt that was made five years earlier not yours. Also the Colt's Patent stamp on powder flasks is very cool but not required as I will mention later.

The early 49er came with a "standing eagle" flask made by Batty Brothers and is for 49ers made up until around 1855. There was also a model not stamped with "Colt's Patent" that is just fine for your gun up to serial 100,000 or so. Keep in mind that Colt never threw anything away so if you see one in a set with a gun made in 1856 it might still be proper as they might have issued it a year or so later but remember that 1855 is the year they all changed.

The early Mold should be brass with no cutter on it up until again around 1855 sn 100,000 and stamped with Colt's Patent and ".31" or ".31 pkt" on the side.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The "middle" 49er made 1855 through 1857 was the shortest and smallest production numbers of 49er accessories for guns serial numbered 100,000 up until 1857 serial numbers to around 130, 000. These guns had the "eagle and shield" flasks (not sure if Batty Bros. made these or American Flask and Cap) and the brass mold with iron sprue cutter stamped Colt's Patent with .31 pkt or just .31 stamped on the side.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The late 49er serial numbers 131,000 and on until 1873 came with the "eagle and shield" flask with Colt's Patent" stamped on it. The mold should be all iron with iron sprue cutter and is stamped "Colt's Patent on the front and ".31" or ".31 pkt" on the side. This mold is also correct for the .31 "Root" Pocket revolver made during the same period.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 1862 police had the same "standing eagle" flask as the 49ers but it came with a .36 spout. The rare all iron mold with iron sprue cutter was stamped "Colt's Patent" and had ".36" and the letter "P" stamped on the side. Jump on these when you see them! Most people use a .36 Navy mold and this is not correct but as mentioned earlier, no big deal as most people wont know this.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The 1862 Pocket Navy, same as above for the 62 Police. Note that this set has a .36 spout, the spout on the Police above is a .31 and incorrect. Still looking for that one with Colt's Patent stamp (they go for $600-$800!). And also note no Colt's stamp on this one, its just fine for now but if you want perfection then "Colt's Patent" on the front of the flask and an "Expressly for Colt" Eley cap tin.

The .28 "Root" or New Revolving Pocket Pistol came with a "standing eagle" flask and had a .28 caliber charge spout. The mold should be brass with an iron sprue cutter, .28 caliber with Colt's Patent stamped on the front and a small letter "K" or "F" stamped on the side. Mine is stamped with an "R" and is a mystery.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Now a word on the repro stuff. If you look at a powder flask, look for "Italy" of course but its not always that easy. Check the set screws that hold the brass spout unit onto the body of the flask. They should be dark iron not brass. If the screws are brass the flask is a repro. This is a solid rule I learned many years ago and it works. Check the set screws. Also, on the original U.S. made Colt cases (Colt had at least 3 case makers in the U.S. and some say as many as 5 and made no cases themselves) check the screws. There should be iron screws holding the hinges, if they are brass it is not an original it was made later and those hinges on single gun cases should have four screws not six.

I hope this is a help to you gentleman, it was fun putting it together for you. Remember if you need a case......Bill's Cases

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Bill,

Thank for the tutorial. Very interesting and helpful. I can't wait to get back home to check my 1849 London Cased Sets !

signed:
A past satisfied Bills Cases customer,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wonderful information. I have put the photos in my 'library'.

Eley's had so many tins through the years an looking through numerous cased sets it seems almost a crapshoot as to what you'll find. I have a really nice brass embossed one - think that was early.

So many molds for sale are the early ones without the sprue cutter. True about the later iron molds - they aren't common at all! looking for one myself.

Excellent work Bill. Looking forward to getting more 1sts now!

Tuco

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bill, when some one purchased a revolver like these "back in the day " did they all come in a wooden box - case like shown above ? Or was there another way one would "buy " a new revolver back in 18XX ?
thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong Bill, but my understanding is they all came standard w/ mold & wrench only. Flasks were optional, as were the casings. Read somewhere (Rapley?) that dealer supplied flasks, w/o "Colt's Patent" markings were often substituted for Colt-supplied flasks due to price.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That is correct the molds where sold with the gun, the flasks where usually separate and the cases where a rare option people purchased along with or separately from the gun but most military contract purchases required a mold only and that was true for most manufacturers like Remington , Rogers and Spencer and Savage. One source I read said the presentation cases for the 1860 Army where $1.50 extra!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
This is what it's about :)
Thanks for the great education about the cased Colt Pockets and accessory.This prompted me to check my own flask and bullet mold. It appears that the flas has old iron screws. Although it obviously has been polished by the previous owner :-( I am very happy to find out that the mould is correct in relation to what s/n i have on my Pocket and fits my attempt to create a cased set :)
Flaske liten.jpg Kuletang liten.jpg IMG_05860.jpg

·
Premium Member
29 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Great info Bill. Thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Good information Bill, and thanks. Question: You mention the flask spout, .31 and .36, do you know the length of each. This will help me identify mine as to 49 or 62 models...Thanks again......Jim

1 - 20 of 78 Posts