Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a Colt Pocket Positive Sat. in a box. Mfg. 1922 per s/n. I wonder if the box is orignal or from a later period. The bottom half is all black inside and out. The top is a brown wood grain with COLT in gold in the center. Size is 4''x 8 '' No other marks of any kind. What other info should I give?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi Duane: Welcome to the Colt Forum. I am afraid I don't know what the proper box for a Pocket Pos. should look like. However,the box you describe sounds like a post war box to me. The 2-piece woodgrain boxes came into use, I think, in the mid '50s (after the brown hinged boxes) and versions of them were used until the adoption of the one-piece wood grain boxes with styrofoam insert that came into play around 1970 or so. Take a look at the bottom of the box and see if there is a serial number marked in white china marker there. If so, and if it does not match the gun's serial, your question is answered. Hope this helps you.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ordnanceguy:
Hi Duane: Welcome to the Colt Forum. I am afraid I don't know what the proper box for a Pocket Pos. should look like. However,the box you describe sounds like a post war box to me. The 2-piece woodgrain boxes came into use, I think, in the mid '50s (after the brown hinged boxes) and versions of them were used until the adoption of the one-piece wood grain boxes with styrofoam insert that came into play around 1970 or so. Take a look at the bottom of the box and see if there is a serial number marked in white china marker there. If so, and if it does not match the gun's serial, your question is answered. Hope this helps you.

Charlie Flick
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Charlie: Thank you for the welcome and responce. There are no other marks of any kind on the box. The reason I thought it might be original is 1. It is a perfect fit for the gun 2. the gun appears to be unfired with no mark on the recoil shield, cone, or barrel. Duane

G

·
Duane,
For what it's worth I agree with Charlie. You're describing a post-war box. The proper box would be a hinged box with a dark maroon ribbed paper covering it. The paper label will be glued on (not gummed) the end and most likely will be white lettering on a dark blue background. And it should have a number on the bottom.
Regards,
Kevin Williams
PS - welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts