Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a Colt Police Positive 32 cal revolver I inherited. Chrome plated with blued trigger and hammer. Serial number 748XX. Last patent listed on barrel is July 1905. It must be old but trying to see what ammo it takes.
Will it take the S&W 32 cal? When was it manufactured? Thanks. Dave Bernard

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Hi Bernard,

Can you post some images of it?

If the finish is original, it would be Nickel rather than Chrome.

What does the Barrel Calibre Stamping say exactly?

74,8XX would be early 1911 according to my references.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
As stated above, the .32 cal police positive came in 32 Long colt which will also work with 32 Short Colt as well 32 Colt New Police which is the same as 32 S&W Long. let us know what is stamped on the barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the response. The barrel stamping: Police Positive 32 Police CTG. I have attached a couple of pics. I believe it is the original finish - very bright. Dave

Hi Bernard,

Can you post some images of it?

If the finish is original, it would be Nickel rather than Chrome.

What does the Barrel Calibre Stamping say exactly?

74,8XX would be early 1911 according to my references.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Any idea of value? cylinder has some nickel/tarnish issues and bore has some minor rust. dave

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
If you post some better close up pictures of the markings on both sides of the barrel, and the pony on the side plate, I am sure you will get some expert opinions on value.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Very pretty gun and you lucked out on it being chamber for the more common 32 S&W long of which is easy to find. Without looking at the blue book, you have a $4-500 gun. Its really pretty so collectors may be interested but the caliber is not a manstopper so finding a buyer can be a challenge. just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts