Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
Ford was a big defense contractor during WWII...they built thousands of Jeeps, B24 bombers, tank engines and who knows what else at various plants. The revolver could have been for their security guards at any of those locations.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
That's a .38 S&W caliber and most revolvers Colt did during wartime were .38 Special. Maybe Ford purchased them from commercial sources other than on a Colt contract. It would be interesting to see what an archives letter would show.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I bid on one with Ford in the same place a few years ago on Gunbroker. It was mint, I didn't win, I could not afford it.
Any Idea what t sold for? I tryin to get a grip on the value of a Colt like this one

I am going to letter it as the serial number does not come up on the colt lookup so am guessing its a special contract Ford's security was involved with many historic events like the Hunger March 1932 and the Battle of the Overpass 1937

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
I give up whats the year of the gun
You can provide us with the serial or look up the year yourself :)

Edit: Just saw your post. What do you mean, it does not come up? What is it?

It should be a simple 5- or 6-digit number. You can also go to Proofhouse.com for the serial range year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a 1924 according to proofhouse but the serial number when entered in to the colt lookup only shows a 1911 military pistol

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
No idea what the problem with the look-up would be. Proofhouse is occasionally off, but based on my experience with lettered Police Positive 38s, the years for those are good, so 1924 is most likely correct for your gun. Due to labor unrest, corporations had large plant security departments during those years; that is where this gun likely fits in.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Any Idea what t sold for? I tryin to get a grip on the value of a Colt like this one

I am going to letter it as the serial number does not come up on the colt lookup so am guessing its a special contract Ford's security was involved with many historic events like the Hunger March 1932 and the Battle of the Overpass 1937
$600-$700 at the time, maybe 4 years ago. I figured a Ford fan or employee wanted the gun bad enough to overpay.

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
its a 1924 according to proofhouse but the serial number when entered in to the colt lookup only shows a 1911 military pistol
153000-165000 should be the serial number range for a 1924 Police Positive 38. Not a Police Positive Special. Be sure you are looking in the right place.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$600-$700 at the time, maybe 4 years ago. I figured a Ford fan or employee wanted the gun bad enough to overpay.
600-700 that's not an over pay for a pistol that shows up once every 4 years! I will post the letter when it comes

Look what the wellsfargo's go for 6-700

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
4 years ago a Police Positive .38 would retail for about $350-$400 in my area of operation.
That sounds about right.

I paid $350 for this NYCPD Police Positive 38 about that long ago. The price would have been on the high side considering the blue had morphed mostly into brownish patina, but the engraved name and shield number made it worth it to me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts