Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the new episode of Mythbusters and they were doing gunh myths again. This time one of the myths they were testing was a story that said that a cop was in a shoot out with a criminal. After it was over they found a 9mm parabellum round backwards in an empty chamber in the revolver. The revolver from the myth was a Colt Police Postive. So that's what they used. They shot it with a Glock 17. Now these guys are from San Francisco so they're not exactly gun guys. They don't bother to include details like what type of bullet is being used etc. But they did mention the copper jacket was peeled off as the round entered the cylinder. So they shot this police positive many times at a close range. Most times the cylinder despite being shot remained closed. They were able to recreate the myth but there sure wasn't must left of the 9mm round after hitting the the frame and the cylinder walls. They didn't bother mentioning it but I sure would love to know the total amount of damage that was incured to the police positive. I'm sure that it's cylinder is too damaged to be within spec anymore which was a darn same. The handgun at least on TV looked like it was in really good shape prior to their testing.

Dave

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I don't understand. They fired the Glock at the Police Positive? What were they trying to prove? Did they find a 9mm round or a 9mm bullet in the chamber?

I knew there was some reason I never watch television. I've never heard of "Mythbusters". That's just dumb! The numbskulls deserved to have a bullet bounce back and strike them.

Oh well Dave, that's a different variation of ballistic testing than anything I've ever heard.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Although I have only watched it when I encountered it in my brief TV sojourns, Mythbusters contrive some fairly elaborate test beds in a attempt to recreate situations that have given rise to "myths" or "urban legends" in order to support or refute them. In this case, although I didn't see it, it sounds like they were attempting to recreate a storied situation where a police revolver was apparently struck in the cylinder face with an incoming 9mm projectile and captured it without total destruction? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have seen the Mythbusters on Discovery Channel here in Holland on many occaisions and I love that show!

Numerous ridiculous myths and urban legends being busted, plausibeled or confirmed, great format, good humor.

I loved the episodes in which they tried to bust the legend of shooting underwater, the swimmingpooltest to see how deep one has to dive to avoid being hit or injured by a bullet. Saw the episode where they tried to attempt to blow up a car gas tank with tracerfire just 2 days ago. In short: Fun television of which we don't have enough of!
(Strange remark from a guy who comes from the land where they invented Big Brother /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif or what?)

But the best myth to be busted was the myth of the guy who accidentally shot himself in his pick-up with a .22LR cartridge being used as a fuse! Now we all knew that that was myth, didn't we?

Now I love to see this new episode.
It will break my heart to see a good Colt being shot to bits, but hey, anything in the name of science!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I usually don't watch "Mythbusters"-but-when I saw that several of the segments were about "guns",I tuned in.

First,It was a PRE WAR 6" OFFICIAL POLICE!--not a Police Positive(or special).

The said that it was based upon a shooting in Seattle,where a 9mm round went up a .38 Specials barrel,and hit an empty chamber ?! Or hit the front of the cylinder?

Their "test" really didn't work that well,they said,because a 9mm bullet,is larger diameter than a .38 Special chamber(mouth).

What the police would be doing carrying a gun with an empty chamber,is beyond me!

Then I found out that telescopic sights will stop a hi powered rifle bullet! Yup,those lenses etc, are just bullet proof! This was based upon a USMC sniper shooting an NVA sniper through his scope lenses into his eye! But on "Mythbusters" the bullet(was it really a .308 milspec round?) was stopped by the scopes' internal parts, or deflected from the rear eyepiece,and never hit the "eye" of the dummy-until they fired it at point blank!

Guess I won't watch that crap again! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bud

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was an OP? Well they said PP but then they don't know jack about guns. However now that you mention it the handgun was awfully big to be an PP. This whole thing has raised a question for me. I know that the diameter of the 9mm bullet is larger than that of the 38 special barrel. But with respect to the inside of the cylinder diameter where it meets the forcing cone what would be the inside diameter of that opening on a 38 special?

In the still pictures that they showed the police handgun that the myth actually occurred on clearly had brass cases in it. I wonder why they chose to shoot the bullet into an empty cylinder instead of a cylinder with spent cases still loaded in it.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gosharooni, I usually only "lurk" on this site, as my knowledge of Colt firearms is limited. But, IIRC, the 9 mm is a .355 inch; the .38 Special is a .358 inch. The 9 mm, even if off center, would end up in the cylinder. Whether it would stop there is something I wish to think about. The energy would be the same, but over a much shorter period of time.
Thanks for letting me lurk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts