Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one or the other...I think!

This guy has been passed down to me and I'm unable to tell which model Colt it is.

Serial # 138916 and under the number it looks like an "H" "D" or maybe and "R"???

The cylinder is 1 1/4 inches long with a 6" bbl

Looks like black plastic or composite grips.

I've tried to load .38 cartridges or several types left over from my Dad's reloading days, but none fit. Also tried .25, and .32 without any luck.

The gun doesn't say "Special" on it anywhere so I'm thinking it's just a first generation Positive but why would it have the longer bbl.?

thanks,

Tim

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
You have a Colt Police Positive made in 1917 or 1922 depending on the caliber. It would be chambered in either .32 New Police (.32 S&W) or .38 Police Cartridge (.38 S&W).

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
....I've tried to load .38 cartridges or several types left over from my Dad's reloading days, but none fit. Also tried .25, and .32 without any luck.

The gun doesn't say "Special" on it anywhere so I'm thinking it's just a first generation Positive but why would it have the longer bbl.?
Normally, it says what it is on the left side of the barrel.

Either “Police Positive 38” for the standard PP or “Police Positive 38 Special” for the PPS.

The 6” barrel was a standard offering for either of the two models.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
I have one or the other...I think!

This guy has been passed down to me and I'm unable to tell which model Colt it is.

Serial # 138916 and under the number it looks like an "H" "D" or maybe and "R"???

The cylinder is 1 1/4 inches long with a 6" bbl

Looks like black plastic or composite grips.

I've tried to load .38 cartridges or several types left over from my Dad's reloading days, but none fit. Also tried .25, and .32 without any luck.

thanks,

Tim
Please post us some pictures of it?

Outdoor, indirect Light, is best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen... Oyeboten, Absalom, and thecoltguy: Thank you for the response. The gun does say Colt Police Positive .38 on the left side. Therefore, I guess it was manufactured in 1922 according to the Serial - 138916. I going to a gun store and asking if the .38 S&W can be shot in the gun safely. Must be a short casing to fit into the cylinder. I will post some pictures as you have suggested but first I need to find how that works on this website :(
Tim

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Yes, your safe with 38 S&W ammunition. While the cartridge is shorter than 38 special, it’s also slightly bigger.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
...I going to a gun store and asking if the .38 S&W can be shot in the gun safely. Must be a short casing to fit into the cylinder.
That is the caliber for which the gun is chambered. Colt just loaded it with a flat-nosed bullet and gave it a proprietary name .38 “New Police”, but it is dimensionally identical to the S&W cartridge.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Oil it up good! Oil every part that moves...may have been a long while since anyone has!

Nice old Colt!

I know I love my Police Positives...they are a joy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts