Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am desparately searching for a Colt Police Positive .32 cal.ejector ratchet. While searching for this item I have learned three things. One - these ejector rachetes can be figitty because they were hand fitted for the gun they where put on. Two - if you can buy the cylinder with the ejecter ratchet your better off. Three - some Colt models may use parts from other models. I am not schooled enough to be able to tell you which will do so but the gun I have is "D" model,(frame size) if that helps you. Other "D" models were Police Positive Specials, Detective Specials, Cobras, Agents, Couriers, Vipers and a version called the Diamondback. At this point I am getting very desparate and need a little help, luck, and a prayer to find a workable part. Again I thank all of you for any advice or assistance. Half the fun is in the hunt! Parr 765-506-3097.

[email protected]

·
Registered
5,351 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have it pretty straight about the problems with installing a used ejector star/ratchet in another gun. The major issue is that the face was milled to fit after the headspace and barrel/cylinder clearance was established. They need to be correct first. As you note there are a number of D frame models, but Colt revolver parts are becoming scarce and .32 caliber is even less plentiful than .38. Of course, restating the problem doesn't help except as a sanity check. ;) Aside from finding parts or a parts gun on GunBroker as mentioned, you might call Jack First Guns Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ratchet for Colt

Thanks A1A - I remain encouraged.

Welcome to the forum. You have it pretty straight about the problems with installing a used ejector star/ratchet in another gun. The major issue is that the face was milled to fit after the headspace and barrel/cylinder clearance was established. They need to be correct first. As you note there are a number of D frame models, but Colt revolver parts are becoming scarce and .32 caliber is even less plentiful than .38. Of course, restating the problem doesn't help except as a sanity check. ;) Aside from finding a parts or a parts gun on GunBroker as mentioned, you might call Jack First Guns Jack First Gunshop - First in Gun Parts - Rapid City, South Dakota. :)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,991 Posts
To make things even more complicated, Colt's ejectors changed over the years and you have to have an ejector that fits that era of cylinder.
As above, all ejectors are used and were previously fitted to a different cylinder and frame. The ejector may be too short to fit at all.
This makes replacing an ejector and exercise in frustration as you find ejectors only to have them not fit your specific gun.

One possible source is Coltparts. The list .32 Police Positive Special .32 ejectors, but you'll have to contact them to see if they actually have one in stock.

Colt D- Frame Police Positive Revolver

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys - still no luck with the Colt Police Positive ejector ratchet. If you hear anything or have resources, I sure would appreciate it. This gun is for my best friend's elderly Dad. Parr

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Honestly it might be easier just to go buy another Police Positive. You can find a decent shooter probably for not much more than a new ratchet and all the time and headaches its going to take to make it work. And less than paying someone to fix it.
You can get these for under $200.
Does it have to be a .32? The .38s are more common I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts