Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found myself buying older Colt handguns lately, including a 1903 Pocket .32, a 1908 Vest Pocket .25, a turn-of-the-last-century New Police, a Police Positive Special and a Trooper. Neat guns all.
I was browsing a local shop today and they have a VERY nice looking Police Positive in .32 Police. The finish is really outstanding except the bottom of the butt and a little on the right side--it has been living in a cardboard box for many years. Serial number was in the 75,xxx range as I recall. Price was $300, which is higher than my "impulse purchase" limit. The interesting thing that I'd like to know about is this: the sides of the hammer, the trigger and the screw above the trigger are all finished in a ROYAL BLUE color. I've never seen one like this before. Is this after-market or was this finish available from Colt? If refinished, I'll stop thinking about this piece. If original, I may need to head back down there.

Thanks much!

Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
While all over Royal Blue is not likely, it is not absolutely impossible.

I see three possibilities:

1. Special order. In the era in which this revolver was manufactured the factory was very accomodating. If the customer wanted royal blue all over instead of the regular finish, Colt might well have done what it took to make him happy.

2. A factory refinish of this revolver at a much later date is possible. Remember, this gun is smaller than the more recently produced D frames. Parts are scarce. If there was some rust this may have been the best alternative.

The two options above could (probably) be checked out with a factory letter.

3. Some 'smiths are able to produce a very good copy of the Royal Blue finish. It takes a lot of care, and the right equipment...

Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "royal blue" is not all over. It's just on the trigger, hammer and the one screw on the left side above the trigger. The hammer and trigger were normaly color-case-hardened, right? Would the factory have done special runs like that? Would this piece be worth $300?

rob

[This message has been edited by Teddydog (edited 03-22-2002).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speaking of Police Positive Revolvers here's an old .32 cal campaigner I have, still shoots & is quite accurate. But as far as looks go "OH WELL"

·
Registered
909 Posts
T.D. - the trigger and hammer would not be case hardened on this model. The serial of this piece would put it ca. 1910. At that time, Colt's used a high polish which they discontinued during WW1 and didn't bring back until the advent of the Python. The screws had a bright fire blue (some called "peacock") finish. The hammer was fire blued and the sides were polished bright "white". So the only thing that would be non-stock would be the sides of the hammer being blued. I have an OP, pre-WW2, that has a full blued hammer which no one has been able to explain (my guess is that at one point it was rebuilt, and the hammer was thrown in the blueing tank).

So probably not a special run, with a "mystery" hammer. HTH

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda funny to see this thread reopened. The original post was from 2004!

I'm pretty sure I passed on the PP mentioned above. It just seemed like too much at the time for a piece that may have been refinished.

I haven't taken any of the Colts out to the range for a while...thanks for the reminder. I'll get them out soon.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts