Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently saw a Colt Police Positive Special with a nickel finish and HKP 72XX on the backstrap. The revolver was a Third Issue gun with a square butt
(serial number appears to be from 1958) and looked to be in top shape. Is there any chance factory nickel .38 Special Police Positive Specials went to the HKP?​

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No. These guns were in .38 S&W caliber, not .38 Special to the best of my knowledge. Also, every single one I have ever seen ranged from well-worn to horrible condition. They also come back with specific plastic grips used in Hong Kong. If your gun is in very nice condition, finished in nickel and chambered in .38 Special, it was almost certainly redone, probably in more ways than one.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I don't think a PPS cylinder will fit a PP. The frame on the PP was lengthened to accommodate the longer cylinder needed for the .38 special.
Rick, what you said would be correct for pre-47 models. Post-war the long frame and cylinder were used for both calibers. Since so few guns were made in .38 S&W (marked .38 Colt NP), Colt did not have a separate frame. Cylinders could easily be swapped. The only guns in that caliber post-war were the Hong Kong guns as well as the under 200 Railway Express Agency guns. Here is an example of REA gun made just after the model change. I could never find a Hong Kong gun in good enough condition that I wanted to buy.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.